The World News Media

Early Christians Believed in the Trinity

Cos
Message added by admin

Please consider starting new topics rather than adding to this enormous one. You can link back on your new topic to this one if need be and/or tag users as needed.  Thank you for the interesting discussion.  

On 5/9/2017 at 9:52 AM, Ann O'Maly said:

Is that because they have guidance from Trinitarian Christians when reading the NT which influences their view?

You see, I've also heard it said by the non-trinitarian JWs that, if one were to read the NT on its own, without any preconceived ideas, one would not understand God to be a truine being.

Anyway, I'm interested in why you conclude that the early Christians did understand God to be triune. I always thought that understanding the ontological relationship between Father and Son was a work-in-progress, thrashed out among the early church fathers. Do you have any killer texts that support your conclusion?

Hi Ann, I'm coming into this discussion a bit late (to say the least) so someone may have pointed this out already, in reply to what I bolded in your post, did you know the WTS has expressed the view that if you read just the Bible, without any WTS publications, you will believe in the Trinity?

[w81 8/15 p.28, par.14] From time to time, there have arisen from among the ranks of Jehovah’s people those who, like the original Satan, have adopted an independent, faultfinding attitude.

They do not want to serve “shoulder to shoulder” with the worldwide brotherhood.  Rather, they present a “stubborn shoulder” to Jehovah’s words.  Reviling the pattern of the “pure language” that Jehovah has so graciously taught his people over the past century, these haughty ones try to draw the “sheep” away from the one international “flock” that Jesus has gathered in the earth.  They try to sow doubts and to separate unsuspecting ones from the bounteous “table” of spiritual food spread at the Kingdom Halls of Jehovah’s Witnesses, where truly there is ‘nothing lacking.’  They say that it is sufficient to read the Bible exclusively, either alone or in small groups at home.  But, strangely, through such ‘Bible reading,’ they have reverted right back to the apostate doctrines that commentaries by Christendom’s clergy were teaching 100 years ago, and some have even returned to celebrating Christendom’s festivals again, such as the Roman Saturnalia of December 25!  Jesus and his apostles warned against such lawless ones.

• Views 14.4k
  • Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In Haiti, even today .. the population is 85% Catholic, and believe in the Trinity, as an institution (individual results may vary ...) AND 85% or so of THAT group also practice Voodoo and worship the

But not by First Century Christians taught by Jesus you know the ones in the New Testament. They used the BIBLE. The Bible, every single book in it, was written by Jews and Jews do not believe in God

Very good point. After all if the Trinity was in the Bible in the first place then NO ONE would have tried to put it there by a forgery. Which of course proves it is not in the Bible. {Yet that is not

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, TrueTomHarley said:

They said nothing of the sort. The 'Bible reading' they speak of is in quotes. It denotes a Bible reading in which a person goes orgasmic over a few formula texts and ignores the greater context.

Sure they did.  The sort of Bible reading they are referring to is described in their sentence just prior to that one: "to read the Bible exclusively, either alone or in small groups at home".  And they sure didn't describe it the way you did, did they.

8 minutes ago, bruceq said:

Sorry but all the Bible writers were JEWS and Jews do not believe in a Trinity so no one can find it taught in the Bible. If you believe otherwise then show us a Scripture that teaches it in any way.

But the writers were Jews who became Christians.  The Jews you speak of who reject the Trinity also don't accept Christ as Messiah, so how wise would it be to allow them to form opinions for us.

3 minutes ago, HollyW said:

But the writers were Jews who became Christians.  The Jews you speak of who reject the Trinity also don't accept Christ as Messiah, so how wise would it be to allow them to form opinions for us.

So Moses was not worshiping the right God. lol

Wrong. Jesus was a Jew as were all the Apostles, why Paul even said what tribe he was from. Try again.

9 minutes ago, bruceq said:

So Moses was not worshiping the right God. lol

Wrong. Jesus was a Jew as were all the Apostles, why Paul even said what tribe he was from. Try again.

Moses?  Isn't this about the early Christians?

All the Apostles, even Paul, were Jews who became Christians.  I don't know what you think is wrong about that.

1 minute ago, HollyW said:

Moses?  Isn't this about the early Christians?

All the Apostles, even Paul, were Jews who became Christians.  I don't know what you think is wrong about that.

I believe in all the Bible. I do not think anything is wrong with using the Bible.

2 minutes ago, bruceq said:

I believe in all the Bible. I do not think anything is wrong with using the Bible.

Is there anything wrong with reading the Bible exclusively, without WTS publications?

8 minutes ago, HollyW said:

Is there anything wrong with reading the Bible exclusively, without WTS publications?

I read the Bible and all publications. I have over 200 different Bible Translations not just he ones by the Witnesses,. And I sell on ebay over 800 other books on the Bible very few are Watchtower publications. If you want to read the Bible by itself then go for it. But you will not find the Trinity because the writers were not Trinitarian.

6 minutes ago, bruceq said:

I read the Bible and all publications. I have over 200 different Bible Translations not just he ones by the Witnesses,. And I sell on ebay over 800 other books on the Bible very few are Watchtower publications. If you want to read the Bible by itself then go for it. But you will not find the Trinity because the writers were not Trinitarian.

Well, as I posted, the WTS says reading the Bible by itself, without WT pubs, will lead you to believe in the Trinity, Hell, immortal soul, and celebrate Christmas to boot.

I suppose you could believe the moon is made of cottage cheese.  But that does not make it true. Please show me a Scripture that proves your belief in your God. Can you at least do that much. Prove that God is a Trinity using your Bible. That is the topic???

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.