The World News Media

What concept/concepts is behind the term "inspired"?

Srecko Sostar

Inspired ....spirit-driven.... spirit-guided.....motivated.....to have spirit of....lead up by spirit....to feel that spirit leads us ..... spirit impelled him .... he came in the spirit....sent out by the spirit....spirit did not permit them.....bound by the spirit...he was in the spirit....carried him away in the spirit... and many more other phrases in the Bible.

Why JW's mostly, generally think that "inspiration" is action reserved only to JHVH and Jesus or devil and demons?

"Inspiration" is state/condition of some person soul, mind and emotions.  The biblical / religious state of inspiration comes mainly out of the will of the people. But do you think how this is something that can be  achieved/put on/force upon only by the actions of superhuman powers?

JW's are very occupied with their religion in own life and have specific relationship to this word and have specific (organizational) understanding of the concept about this special word - inspired. They think, I think that they do think :)), about this word only in religious sense and consider how it is about or only about some sort of divinity or divine holiness (or devil evil) in background.

Because they attach great importance to this word in only one direction, they forget that there is also a very powerful influence of another force. It's the spirit of man. JW's must recall themselves more often that people are created on the image of God. And that all people in themselves have a strong spirit (of divine source by birth and genetically inherited). This human spirit is powerful and can inspire other people (earthly spirits) around them. You, as individual can be inspired by people around you or by people about whom you hear about, you are watching, you read about. 

Also it is interesting how some other things can inspire people. For example; nature, music, poetry, stories, events, animals, imagination.

Please, join to this topic and give, express your thoughts. Let your spirit free and let's inspire others :)))

• Views 8k
  • Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not lying. Mistaken. Mistaken for almost the same reason that any of us --either currently, or in the past-- have believed the GB are a small group of men. When I believed it, I was not lying. It was

Wow! Is there something holding you back from saying what's really on your mind? My father and grandfather attended KM school in Pittsburgh back in the early 70's about a year apart from each oth

It's quite clear from your words that they are INTENDED to apply only to your agenda. If all four legged animals are horses ... then a cow must, by your logic, be a vegetable. Your Billy-thi

Posted Images

53 minutes ago, Srecko Sostar said:

Why JW's mostly, generally think that "inspiration" is action reserved only to JHVH and Jesus or devil and demons?

Actually they don't. They are quite happy with the secular definition of the English word Inspiration  (Click to view)

However they do believe that the Greek word θεόπνευστος (theopneustos), translated as "inspired of God" is a word used uniquely of the Holy Scriptures. The English rendering used in the NWT2013 is quite  acceptable. It is self explanatory really, as the word literally translates as god-breathed, being a compound of the word Theos, God and pneo, to breathe. 

The word used to describe demonic teachings or utterances is a little different, but the concept of wicked spirits using complicit humans for the transmission of lies and propoganda is an acceptable Biblical teaching.

The use of the English word "inspired" with appropriate qualifiers is quite clear in it's specific application to Biblical concepts as it is also in a variety of secular contexts. The dictionary definition makes these clear.

All such definitions are acceptable and in regular use by Jehovah's Witnesses.  

It obviously means different things in different contexts.

'All scripture is inspired of God' should mean that all scripture was written under the direct inspiration from God. 

However the question has been raised as to whether the writer was inspired generally or just during the time of doing the writing. 

My point would be that if All Scripture was written under inspiration, then it would also take God's inspiration to understand it. And, if the first century Christian leaders were either inspired generally or inspired when they took specific action, then the 'modern day' Christian leaders would also need to be inspired generally or inspired when they took specific action.

The GB say they are not inspired.  

We can be inspired to climb a mountain, paint a picture, have a family, etc., by our own mind and spirit.  But, a person can receive  spiritual influence from either an evil spirit or the Spirit from God. 

Now God has revealed these things to us by the Spirit, for the Spirit searches everything, even the depths of God. 11 For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the spirit of the man that is in him? In the same way, no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have not received the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who comes from God, so that we may understand what has been freely given to us by God. 

We:  those anointed with Holy Spirit.

The spirit of the world:  the earthly, elemental influence of the world. Eph 2:1-3; Col 3:5; James 3:15

13 We also speak these things, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, explaining spiritual things to spiritual people.

This is “inspiration”, being “inspired” by God’s Spirit.  Everyone who is anointed has spirit poured into their heart. Rom 5:5; Titus 3:6,7   They are “inspired”; but, they can bury this inspiration – suppress it, within their heart.  They can choose not to submit to the Spirit, by listening to another spirit – that of false prophets, false teachers whose hearts are “inspired” by the spirit of the world. 2 Pet 3:17 They can also listen to themselves, to their spirit, their understanding, and not what the Spirit of God teaches. Prov 3:5,6; Hos 9:7  They can eventually lose the Spirit of God and replace it with the external demonic spirit from Satan.  James 3:11; 2 Cor 13:5

14 But the unbeliever does not welcome what comes from God’s Spirit, because it is foolishness to him; he is not able to understand it since it is evaluated spiritually15 The spiritual person, however, can evaluate everything, yet he himself cannot be evaluated by anyone.

At one point, Jesus “breathed” spirit onto the apostles.  This was before they were anointed. 

Jesus said to them again, “Peace to you! As the Father has sent Me, I also send you.” 22 After saying this, He breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit.”   John 20:21,22

They were “inspired” Rom 5:5; Titus 3:6,7  The Spirit of God takes up residence within a heart. John 14:23;  That person “receives the Holy Spirit”, along with the gift it gives them.  1 Cor 12:4,7; Heb 2:4  It is an outside source that “inspires” one’s actions and thoughts, giving them direction in understanding spiritual things.  It is how God and Jesus speak to us, through those anointed whom Jesus sends.  John 13:20; Matt 10:40

Yet, anyone can be “inspired” or influenced or motivated by either an evil spirit or the Spirit from God.  We are to guard our heart and mind from the sources of evil.  Prov 4:34

Now the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will depart from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and the teachings of demons.   1 Tim 4:1

Paying attention to lies and allowing their influence to permeate our spiritual being can become one’s “inspiration”.    The GB say they are not inspired.  We should ask why, if indeed they are anointed.  And, we should consider what influences their thinking.  Is it the Spirit of Truth?  Or, is it the influence of the spirit of the world?  There is some force that inspires their teachings.  If it includes falsehoods of doctrine no longer valid, then these men have been inspired by another spirit.  Matt 12:34  The Spirit of Truth has not inspired men to teach what is on the list of “Beliefs Clarified”, keeping all JWs on a crooked path of darkness.  Not a single glimmer of the light of Christ can be found on that list.  Not one glimmer. John 8:12; Matt 5:16

I wish JWs desired pure truth, the pure light from Christ.  It is as if JWs do not believe it is possible. To put it crudely, men are yanking your chain, JWs, leading you along with falsehoods, and you don’t even care to discern this deceit; or, stop it from influencing you.  Your leaders are so convincing, that you believe Jesus and the Father are doing the yanking!  

JWs visualize and accept that changed teachings by men are a normal spiritual occurrence. It isn’t normal according to the Spirit of God. A Beast/organization has been given the title of “spirit directed” by a false prophet who admits it is not “inspired” by God. Rev 13:11,14-17  It is directed by demonic expressions – inspirations that were foretold to come against God’s people in the last days.  Rev 16:13,14; 20:9

And you don’t see it.  Isa 6:9,10; Acts 28:26,27

“When the Counselor comes, the One I will send to you from the Father—the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father—He will testify about Me. “John 15:26 

“When the Spirit of truth comes, He will guide you into all the truth. For He will not speak on His own, but He will speak whatever He hears. He will also declare to you what is to come.”

“He is the Spirit of truth. The world is unable to receive Him because it doesn’t see Him or know Him. But you do know Him, because He remains with you and will be in you. I will not leave you as orphans; I am coming to you.  John 14:17,18

THIS IS WHAT THE GB DOES NOT HAVE  AND WHICH WAS PROMISED TO COME - THE SPIRIT OF TRUTH.   And they admit it.  

Pearl Doxsey – “Eye Salve, Humility and Repentance” 4womaninthewilderness

Well, as Charles Taze Russell said (heavily paraphrased) in the first issue of the Watchtower, which had his byline "C.T.R.", as the author .. "The Truth is the Truth, no matter what the source... If Satan told you the Truth, it would still be the Truth".

A similar thought was expressed in the Dr. Seuss book, "Horton Hears A Who".

2019-06-15_012236.jpg

12 minutes ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

If Satan told you the Truth, it would still be the Truth.

An example is this Satan's statement recorded here:

"So he brought him up and showed him all the kingdoms of the inhabited earth in an instant of time.  Then the Devil said to him: “I will give you all this authority and their glory, because it has been handed over to me, and I give it to whomever I wish."

Luke 4:4-6

Inside WTJWRG Institution one thing is of crucial importance. Who are those people who have authorization to govern, rule, lead this organization and people who are members/believers? Who are those people who represent JHVH and Jesus and their Will?

In this WT article authors tried to explain history of this.  https://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/watchtower-study-february-2017/who-is-leading-gods-people-today/

Why this article is interesting (again) in connection to topic? Here is some quotes from pages of this article:

CAN YOU EXPLAIN?

In the first century and today, how have those taking the lead among God’s people been . . .

empowered by holy spirit?

assisted by angels?

guided by God’s Word?

.... Jesus had given his followers a commission: “You will be witnesses of me in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the most distant part of the earth.” (Acts 1:8) How could they possibly complete that assignment? True, Jesus had assured them that they would soon receive holy spirit. (Acts 1:5) Still, an international preaching campaign required direction and organization. To direct and organize his people in ancient times, Jehovah used visible representatives.

Famous paragraph 12:  The Governing Body is neither inspired nor infallible. 

As we can see from box in WT magazine under question Can you explain? author AVOID to use direct word "Inspired" and instead this explicit sort of spirit manifestation as it is commonly viewed while reading Bible (for example, to write holy scriptures, to tell something as prophecy or command from God, to heal the sick....etc) author put word - empowered by HS. And now author give factual example from 1 century:  

Holy spirit was poured out on all anointed Christians, but it specifically enabled the apostles and other elders in Jerusalem to fulfill their role as overseers. For example, in 49 C.E., holy spirit guided the governing body to make a decision regarding the issue of circumcision. 

Author highlights 2 things. First is ROLE of OVERSEEING. And second is about MAKING DECISIONS. In contrast or continuation to this  1 century example, author of article later emphasized this:  

In 1919, three years after Brother Russell’s death, Jesus appointed “the faithful and discreet slave.” For what purpose? To give his domestics “food at the proper time.” (Matt. 24:45)......

Evidence of holy spirit. The holy spirit has helped the Governing Body to grasp Scriptural truths not previously understood. For example, reflect on the list of beliefs clarified that was referred to in the preceding paragraph. Surely, no human deserves credit for discovering and explaining these “deep things of God”! (Read 1 Corinthians 2:10.)

Here we have just statements of author who firmly say that FDS aka GB been appointed by Jesus in 1919. But another thing is something what call on more alarm. As Evidence of holy spirit is, situation when this Body grasp something as Truth under holy spirit helping or empowering

In this explanation one thing is very questionable and somehow danger. In period from 1919 (we shall not talking about 1 century GB or about Angel Assistance today) this entity who "share" food under title: Bible Truth, with supposed help of holy spirit, in fact they had  spread "Fake Truths", they later changed into "Real Truths".  Some doctrines they  produced in few steps as yes-no-yes ... truths. Here we comes to possible conclusion how reason for that errors, according to this article, was not in Human Representatives of Jesus here on Earth. No, reason and cause for that is in holy spirit who has "empowered" them in that confusing way and direction.

Because other two elements in this equation (assisted by angels +  guided by God’s Word) was not been sufficient and powerful enough to correct wrong direction made by empowering influence of holy spirit. :)))) 

Here we see how "blame" for errors and imperfect food can be found in the same reasons why food can be good and eatable too, after some period of time (in refrigerator :))), of course. The way how this article try to prove the credibility of GB for task of sharing the food,  becomes nonsensical.

But, pay attention to this: 

empowered =

having the official authority or freedom to do something  https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/empowered

having the knowledge, confidence, means, or ability to do things or make decisions for oneself                       https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/empowered 

Here we see how this definition changed our view on issue and article. Why they used word EMPOWERED in connection to spiritual food? In fact, according to Dictionaries, WT magazine talk about Power of GB Over People. Here it is not ISSUE about Food Quality, Truth or Lie, Perfection or Imperfection. IT IS ALL ABOUT CONTROL.  

20 hours ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

Well, as Charles Taze Russell said (heavily paraphrased) in the first issue of the Watchtower, which had his byline "C.T.R.", as the author .. "The Truth is the Truth, no matter what the source... If Satan told you the Truth, it would still be the Truth".

Charles Taze Russel, whom the Bible Students cling to.  Unless I'm mistaken, his “Studies in the Scriptures” seems to be their second Bible. 

The Watchtower buries his teachings, but exalts the man.  https://tv.jw.org/#en/mediaitems/LatestVideos/pub-mwbv_201907_4_VIDEO  (Beginning at 1:16)

I view both takes as hypocritical. 

Russell:  “While it is true that the white race exhibits some qualities of superiority over any other, we are to remember that there are wide differences in the same Caucasian (Semitic and Aryan) family; and also we should remember that some of the qualities which have given this branch of the human family its preeminence in the world are not such as can be pointed to as in all respects admirable...
The secret of the greater intelligence and aptitude of the Caucasian undoubtedly in great measure is to be attributed to the commingling of blood amongst its various branches; and this was evidently forced in large measure by circumstances under divine control.
Zion's Watch Tower (July 15, 1902), pp. 215-216

20 hours ago, Outta Here said:

An example is this Satan's statement recorded here:

"So he brought him up and showed him all the kingdoms of the inhabited earth in an instant of time.  Then the Devil said to him: “I will give you all this authority and their glory, because it has been handed over to me, and I give it to whomever I wish."

If Satan can speak truth, so too his ministers, transformed into  "ministers of righteousness".   2 Cor 11:3,4

If Satan can speak a lie and call it "truth", so too his ministers, transformed into "ministers of righteousness".

These "ministers" have received all glory and  authority over the "House of God", the anointed ones; just as Satan promised.  

11 hours ago, Witness said:

Russell:  “While it is true that the white race exhibits some qualities of superiority over any other, we are to remember that there are wide differences in the same Caucasian (Semitic and Aryan) family; and also we should remember that some of the qualities which have given this branch of the human family its preeminence in the world are not such as can be pointed to as in all respects admirable...
The secret of the greater intelligence and aptitude of the Caucasian undoubtedly in great measure is to be attributed to the commingling of blood amongst its various branches; and this was evidently forced in large measure by circumstances under divine control.
Zion's Watch Tower (July 15, 1902), pp. 215-216

Genetics works EXACTLY the same way for all living things.  The wider and deeper the gene pool, the better the quality of ALL DNA based life forms.

What CTR said is certainly politically incorrect by today's Snowflake Standards,  but I, after carefully reading these words, would have to totally agree with them, as being incontrovertibly true.

My first wife and her sister and a brother were born with Cystic Fibrosis, a truly awful death guaranteed, where every day, you die a little bit at a time, until you can no longer breathe, and after years of painful torment, are released , usually with a heart attack from the struggle, before age 30.

I have my own set of problems, but she died in 1982. ( ...LOoooong story ...).

We decided to NOT have children.    Too high of a risk to future generations.

Genetically, with my "problems". I was of inferior genetic stock, and she was of inferior genetic stock,    Like soup stock, you get out of it what you out into it, and neither one of us wanted those genes continued.

I am ONLY talking about genetics ... not intrinsic value, here.

By the way ... this disease, Cystic Fibrosis is EXCLUSIVE to marshmallow white Caucasians.

So I thought about this a great deal, and learned basic genetics, as all I knew was from reading Robert A. Heinlein books, such as "Methuselah's Children", and "Time Enough for Love" .... and went searching for a woman that had a little bit of EVERYTHING in her genetic makeup.

I found one in Peru ..... Caucasian, Spanish, Peruvian Indian, Negro, etc.

It worked EXACTLY as I anticipated, and my three children are POWERHOUSES, any way you want to measure it. Also as an added plus!, they have a "built in", year around permanent tan, that I have tried to get, but with fading results.

I suspect they are embarrassed to be seen with me, as I cannot compete.

Genetics works EXACTLY the same way for horses, mosquitoes, vegetables, fruits, dogs and cats .... AND HUMANS.

It is ARROGANCE to think that past genetic "encounters" do not affect peoples, nations, and races in a progressive manner with multiplying effects.

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?

IT MEANS OVER TIME, IT'S CUMULATIVE

....sigh ..... if only the stupid would JUST be smart enough to not breed.

Jehovah gave a LOT of attention and instruction to the Jews ...  even ordered them to go far afield to Assemblies of HIS people (not any others),, where presumably young men and women would meet others from a widely diverse gene pool.

If you have the opportunity to swim in the gene pool .... you get better results if you do not swim in the shallow end ... or more to the point ... your PARENTS did not.

On 6/15/2019 at 8:41 AM, Outta Here said:

I have question: In what moment, period of time and under what circumstances was all this authority handed to devil? Next is: what "all" in fact means, to what extension, to what level? 

Does this quote, made by satan and written by human (under inspiration), suggest how Almighty God HANDED His Own Authority (full or partial) to devil?? In other words, does JHVH with all knowledge about future and people, humankind, gave to satan licence to deceive, to torture, to kill, to ruin and to destroy life and everything else on Earth, as he wish and like ??!! In case of Job He done exactly that (except death).   

In next step we have another quote made by Jesus and written by human (under inspiration) - 18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.  

WTJWORG confirming doctrine how devil has all Power and Kingship over all Earth, Kingdoms and people, also above angels in heaven, and it seems, my opinion, also Universe space, partially or somehow else. At least, satan was in the Heaven with his influence in spiritual space and perhaps physical space too, until famous year 1914.  

It is interesting how this verses about Power over Earth, and Heaven, were written in similar time in two gospels. By that this two Sons were/are Two Kings over same Things. If so, idea how Jesus began to be King in 1914 is not in harmony with his claim about:  All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 

In both cases, about wording "authority", something missing. About what sort of authority is about? And for what period of time?

By this two Bible verses it looks how One Father gave same or similar Authority to both of His Sons ??!! Does someone have some thoughts about it? :)) 

1 hour ago, Srecko Sostar said:

I have question: In what moment, period of time and under what circumstances was all this authority handed to devil? Next is: what "all" in fact means, to what extension, to what level? 

Does this quote, made by satan and written by human (under inspiration), suggest how Almighty God HANDED His Own Authority (full or partial) to devil?? In other words, does JHVH with all knowledge about future and people, humankind, gave to satan licence to deceive, to torture, to kill, to ruin and to destroy life and everything else on Earth, as he wish and like ??!! In case of Job He done exactly that (except death).   

In next step we have another quote made by Jesus and written by human (under inspiration) - 18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.  

WTJWORG confirming doctrine how devil has all Power and Kingship over all Earth, Kingdoms and people, also above angels in heaven, and it seems, my opinion, also Universe space, partially or somehow else. At least, satan was in the Heaven with his influence in spiritual space and perhaps physical space too, until famous year 1914.  

It is interesting how this verses about Power over Earth, and Heaven, were written in similar time in two gospels. By that this two Sons were/are Two Kings over same Things. If so, idea how Jesus began to be King in 1914 is not in harmony with his claim about:  All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 

In both cases, about wording "authority", something missing. About what sort of authority is about? And for what period of time?

By this two Bible verses it looks how One Father gave same or similar Authority to both of His Sons ??!! Does someone have some thoughts about it? :)) 

I do often wonder why God would cast the Devil down to the Earth.  Surely there were plenty of other places God could have put the Devil. 

Then you get this thing about free will. But there is no free will. Because you either serve God or you are serving the Devil. 

But it is strange that God loves humans but he sends down a 'roaring lion' to devour us. 

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.