The World News Media

"STANDING WHERE IT DOES NOT BELONG"

Witness

On 3/9/2019 at 6:26 PM, Witness said:

I posted a picture of a pagan idol

Isn't an idol something you worship? Otherwise it's just sticks and stones in the shape of a man isn't it?

Or firewood:

"He plants a laurel tree, and the rain makes it grow. Then it becomes fuel for a man to make fires. He takes part of it to warm himself; He builds a fire and bakes bread. But he also makes a god and worships it. He makes it into a carved image, and he bows down before it. Half of it he burns up in a fire With that half he roasts the meat that he eats, and he is satisfied. He also warms himself and says: “Ah! I am warm as I watch the fire. But the rest of it he makes into a god, into his carved image. He bows down to it and worships it. He prays to it and says: “Save me, for you are my god.” They know nothing, they understand nothing,Because their eyes are sealed shut and they cannot see, And their heart has no insight.  No one reflects in his heart Or has knowledge or understanding, saying: “Half of it I burned up in a fire, And on its coals I baked bread and roasted meat to eat. Should I, then, make the rest of it into a detestable thing? Should I worship a block of wood from a tree?”” Isaiah 44: 15-19

• Views 11.9k
  • Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Your entire response here and in one or two earlier posts in this thread appear to be exactly what I would expect to hear from an anointed person. I believe you speak out in the hope that readers will

Job 14:4 King James Version (KJV) 4 Who can bring a clean thing out of an unclean? not one. .......perhaps only God can do this? Question is, would He using for such task; some of JW, some of Wak

Who told you this? But one thing doesn't seem believable, and that is actually replacing a jw.org flag. I cannot imagine there was a jw.org flag in the window. In fact why would the Chilean brothers h

Posted Images

Anna makes a very good point:

If it IS an idol representing something ... what SPECIFICALLY is it?

Does it have a name?

Does it have a description?

Does it have a history of any religious significance?

Anybody now leaving bags of Potato Chips at the base?

I remember seeing your (?) original picture posting.

It is an impressive piece of abstract massive art as far as i can tell. (?)

Reminds me of the old story of a psychiatrist showing Rorschach  ink blot cards to a sexually criminally insane prisoner, and to every ink blot card he was shown, he gave a vile, sexual, and ugly description of what he supposedly saw.

Finally, the shrink lost his temper and called him several unprofessional names befitting the prisoner's warped mind.

The prisoner replied:

"Why are you angry with ME?

... YOUR the one with the dirty pictures!"

Or, as the Eagles once sang about standing on the corner, in Winslow Arizona ..

" Don't let the sound of your own wheels ... make you Craaaaaa-zeee !"

9 hours ago, Witness said:

JWs cannot hear the voice of Christ over the haughty voices of men who have exalted themselves well above all anointed

The problem here is that it is not possible to hear the voice of Christ coming through the cacophonous rantings in your postings. All the anti-GB propoganda comes across loud and clear, so well done there, but that appears to be it. There isn't actually any spiritual content,.other than the interspersed scriptures that is, but otherwise, it isn't even spiritual "junk food". 

9 hours ago, Witness said:

I can just imagine how JWs would react if a GB member offered to sign their personal  Bibles at a convention.   Worth standing in line for?

It looks like you will have to just imagine it. In your zeal to discredit those you hate, you did not notice that the posted photo DOES NOT show them signing Bibles for the friends, but for “public officials.” Whatever was the cause or setting, you appear to misrepresent WT photos as much as you do Scripture itself.

10 hours ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

if you perceive YOURSELF as a "celebrity" !

Come, come. Grown adults should not make themselves children. Even if they HAD signed Bibles for the friends, it would not be something that I would lose my cookies over. They clearly are celebrities in the sense of being known and beloved figures.

Nor, though it is none of my business, am I particularly incensed that Trump signs Bibles for the church people. Who cares? If one loves him, it is not an appreciable detriment. If one hates him, it is not an appreciable intensification.

What we do know is that JW Broadcasting has turned GB members into media stars and they are not especially happy about that. Thus the Bethel tour requests not to ooh and aah if you see one of them in the hallway, and the published counsel that they do not want to be accosted for selfies. Prior to this, they were not publicly recognizable figures to me, though I’m sure they were to some, nor did I necessarily know how many of them they were at any given time.

I recently heard, I forget where, of Brother Herd being ambushed for a selfie, glowering a bit to the one who had assured him that such would not take place, but in the end acquiescing. Smiling Brother Lett appears to be the one most likely to throw that counsel to the wind and pose with any Brother Tom, Dick, or Harry that comes along, but even he must have limits.

https://www.theworldnewsmedia.org/forums/topic/63261-let-us-appreciate-brother-lett/

9 hours ago, Anna said:

Isn't an idol something you worship? Otherwise it's just sticks and stones in the shape of a man isn't it?

8 hours ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

Anna makes a very good point:

If it IS an idol representing something ... what SPECIFICALLY is it?

Does it have a name?

Does it have a description?

Does it have a history of any religious significance?

Anybody now leaving bags of Potato Chips at the base?

I remember seeing your (?) original picture posting.

It is an impressive piece of abstract massive art as far as i can tell. (?)

I can tell you are struggling with this.  But, your idea, Anna, opens up a field of possibilities.  Why not put a clay Buddha statue on the living room coffee table simply because he appears so benevolent?  Or, a gilded wooden cross on the wall because it is a superb piece of art.  Or, a statue of Mary, Peter or Joseph in the garden.  Again, they are just formed of earthen clay. 

The Inuksuk bears an image that the Watchtower identifies with.  Its symbol is important enough to put inside the Branch in an area where the native people who revere this statue, are potential “bait”.

The Inuksuk brings good luck, like a rabbit’s foot.  Should we start carrying a small version in our pocket?

Here is its description.  http://ca.paganfederation.org/the-history-and-meaning-of-the-inuksuk/

Here is WT’s information next to the stone image: 

“Often defined as “that which acts in the capacity of a human”, these giant landmarks have been use as markers and for navigation by the peoples in Canada’s far north. Just like the Inuksuk, our literature is able to speak on our behalf in hard to reach places

When the people saw that Moses was so long in coming down from the mountain, they gathered around Aaron and said, “Come, make us gods who will go before us.  Exod 32:1

The page description linked gives the detailed story.

Perhaps every JW should have one in their entry hall, since it appears to signify the mobility of the preaching work.  There must have been a GB member at the celebration of the Branch remodel, so you might get away with it where you live.  Unless, it's not the approved "dress code" for the area.  

Better yet, what about a wooden Asherah pole which also was established on the “high places” by the nation of Israel.   The Inuksuk sounds like a male image; the Asherah, the goddess of fertility.  They should get together and have children; proof that the preaching work is producing "fruit".    It sounds crazy doesn’t it?

“He will give their kings into your hand, and you will wipe out their names from under heaven. No one will be able to stand up against you; you will destroy them. 25 The images of their gods you are to burn in the fire. Do not covet the silver and gold on them, and do not take it for yourselves, or you will be ensnared by it, for it is detestable to the Lord your God. 26 Do not bring a detestable thing into your house or you, like it, will be set apart for destruction. Regard it as vile and utterly detest it, for it is set apart for destruction.”   Deut 7:24-26

I am sure the early idols seemed harmless to men, but to God, no image was to stand between Him and His people. 

“Of what value is an idol carved by a craftsman?
    Or an image that teaches lies?
For the one who makes it trusts in his own creation;
    he makes idols that cannot speak.
19 Woe to him who says to wood, ‘Come to life!’
    Or to lifeless stone, ‘Wake up!’
Can it give guidance?
    It is covered with gold and silver;
    there is no breath in it.”  Hab 2:18,19

Absolutely no image at all; even one men call “spirit-directed”.

• We cannot take part in any modern version of idolatry—be it worshipful gestures toward an image or symbol or the imputing of salvation to a person or an organization. (1 Corinthians 10:14; 1 John 5:21)    w90 11/1 pp. 23-28

5 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

It looks like you will have to just imagine it. In your zeal to discredit those you hate, you did not notice that the posted photo DOES NOT show them signing Bibles for the friends, but for “public officials.” Whatever was the cause or setting, you appear to misrepresent WT photos as much as you do Scripture itself.

@TrueTomHarley

"Next thing you know, you will be asking some politician to sign your Bible.

Or telling another one that he represents the political manifestation of God’s kingdom on earth."

I knew exactly who the GB were signing the Bibles for. That's why I posted the picture; it fit your comment perfectly.  The cause or the setting makes one wonder, doesn't it?  Is it too hypocritical for the GB to sign Bibles belonging to "friends", yet easily done for those in the "world"?

If I hated you or any JW, I wouldn't be here begging each and every one of you to read Rev 18:4-8, to take heed of the sins of God's anointed people.  How readily JWs throw out the word "hate" to "apostates", yet have I ever used that word against any JW?

(Addition)  “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect."  Matt 5:43-48

3 hours ago, Witness said:

Here's the source of the original photo.  It's pretty clear a JW took the picture and didn't doctor it up.  

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/456130268493794361/

If it is, it is. If you got in there somehow to put up the crossbars, the brothers will saw them off in good time.

5 hours ago, Witness said:

If I hated you or any JW, 

Come now. You are not going to tell me that you do not hate the governing body. Sometimes it seems your sole purpose of existence.

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.