The World News Media

A Difficult Doctrine. With an easy explanation.

JW Insider

Too true, TTH.

Saturday night I had a full color vision in a dream while I was sleeping, and woke up and told it to my wife, Susan.

In this dream I was in a race with three large bright yellow school buses, racing up a hill to a Tee intersection, in single file, along a wooded country road, and I was the third school bus in line, and being old it was a big struggle to keep up, as the other two were newer school buses with newer engines.

I was the actual bus ... not a driver IN the bus, and the other buses were the same.

As I tried to pass I was hitting logs, and potholes, and I could feel it in my frame and in my axles, and realized the probability of me getting to the Tee intersection first was slim.

... and  then, the lead school bus said to the second school bus, which I overheard above the roar of the engines and the clashing of gears "You know, when we get back, they are going to check the mileage, and they will know we have been racing ...."

I have been trying to put that into some context, but am at a loss.

• Views 8.3k
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The old method of handling this was to use the expression "present truth." Many adventists including Seventh Day still use the expression. It's based on a mistranslation of 2 Peter 1:12 where the KJV

Now I understand why many executives disallow any reports to them longer than one page. They KNOW how easy it is to be hypnotized by many words, which for some, is a finely tuned art form.

I was thinking that this was part of the normal run of the buses, and knowing you can't tell if a bus was speeding by checking the mileage. So it reminded me of the joke about the two fishermen,

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

"You know, when we get back, they are going to check the mileage, and they will know we have been racing ...."

I was thinking that this was part of the normal run of the buses, and knowing you can't tell if a bus was speeding by checking the mileage.

So it reminded me of the joke about the two fishermen, who normally had bad luck, but rented a boat so that they finally found a place way out on the water where the fish were biting exceptionally well. When fishing was done for the day, the first fisherman says to the second, 'Make sure you keep track of where this place is so we can get here again tomorrow.' The second fisherman say, 'I already did. I put a big X on the side of the boat right here.' The first fisherman says: 'But how do you know we'll get the same boat tomorrow?'

14 minutes ago, JW Insider said:

I was thinking that this was part of the normal run of the buses, and knowing you can't tell if a bus was speeding by checking the mileage.

No, you can. At least you could when I drove many years ago and I cannot imagine it being more lax today. On each run, we installed a round paper “wheel” in a recording device connected to the odometer and it would produce a record of how fast you had been driving.

Quite a few brothers drive school buses today. It makes for a good retirement job. For me, it was my part time job that supported my pioneering for a few years. I would drive in the AM, work service for four hours, return to drive in the PM. Sometimes I would shoot out for another hour or so field service and that was often the most productive time of the day.

I am more cognizant of my Mom’s feelings as I get older. When you put a son through college, you want some bragging rights afterwards. You want to say: “Yes, my son graduated from Such-and-Such U, and he is now doing very well for himself, thank you very much.”

What she got, however, was a son that moved back in the house for a time (for I returned home, thinking surely it would be a slam-dunk interesting my parents in what I picked up spiritually), drove a school bus, and knocked on her neighbor’s doors to tell them about an oddball religion.

Within the last 24 hours, I have learned of two unbelieving husbands who outright forbade their Witness spouses going door to door on account of the humiliation it would reflect back upon them, so I guess I should be grateful that I never got the same decree—not that I would have paid any attention to it.

43 minutes ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

I have been trying to put that into some context, but am at a loss.

If it helps, when I was in school near the Adirondacks, a friend and I spent much time exploring the back logging roads. Once he was driving his VW bug, pulling out from such a “road” if it could even be called that, onto a deserted dirt road that was only slightly better. “Anything coming your way?” he asked me. “Only a school bus,” I said. 

He laughed, pulled out, and a school bus took off his front bumper.

46 minutes ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

You know, when we get back, they are going to check the mileage, and they will know we have been racing ...."

This is not bad, JTR. I get your point. Don’t agree with it, but I do get it.

I was right in my thinking that there was nothing worth viewing on here right now :) 

But you all remind me so much of the GB and its writing dept. 

You and they have nothing important or even sensible to say, BUT you have to write something. Its as if you have this desperate need to fill up space.  Well of course the GB / Writing dept DO have to fill up space in the magazines each month. 

I bet you are a LOT of fun at parties ! (NOT)

It's called casual conversation.

Not EVERYTHING has to be an epistle of epic proportions and importance.

Now, the part where I agree with you.

Your last sentence.

10 minutes ago, 4Jah2me said:

Well of course the GB / Writing dept DO have to fill up space in the magazines each month. 

I could do with a one page synopsis.

It's like being stuck in the 7th grade ..... FOREVER.

1 hour ago, TrueTomHarley said:

No, you can. At least you could when I drove many years ago and I cannot imagine it being more lax today. On each run, we installed a round paper “wheel” in a recording device connected to the odometer and it would produce a record

I don't think it's any more lax now. School districts can and still do require some bus companies they contract with to use driving monitors, and can even require breathalyzers. I heard about one type of ignition monitor, mostly for hazardous materials transport, that actually doesn't use your breath, but just a touch to the skin to measure the existence of alcohol. But this can't tell the amount, only the recent existence of some amount of alcohol in the system.

Quote @James Thomas Rook Jr. I don't go to parties, I'm no part of this world :) .

My wife and I are happy in each others company and we don't tend to trust other people. That includes JWs. I spend a lot of time walking the beach or in the countryside on my own. I feel closer to God amongst His creation rather than being amongst material things. 

Besides which JW parties here in England tend to involve 'dressing up', which is not my thing :) 

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.