The World News Media

Coronavirus: Jehovah’s Witnesses Cancel Historical Evangelism In UK

Patiently waiting for Truth

We had our meeting online today - the entire congregation.  Most witnesses are still doing telephone witnessing.

Being 67 years of age, I already quaranteened myself before the emergency conditions were called out in my country. 

This does not mean that we stop preaching or attending meetings! Or have contact with our spiritual family! 

• Views 4k
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think you have just inadvertently admitted why Jesus was so dead-set against looking for signs indicating how close we were to the END. When people begin trying to use various ideas from world event

Quote @JW Insider "No one should be able to say, oh look at this war, "See here!" it is the greatest war ever seen, or "Look at this great earthquake, or famine, or pestilence, " But isn't that w

Facts are nice, but they are overrated. They are downright dangerous things in the hands of some, who handle them as deftly as a surgeon with a jackhammer. Facts mean little in themselves. It’s h

Posted Images

On 3/18/2020 at 7:22 PM, Kosonen said:

So easily it could take 5 years before the end.

I think you have just inadvertently admitted why Jesus was so dead-set against looking for signs indicating how close we were to the END. When people begin trying to use various ideas from world events or astrology or scriptural interpretations to figure out when the END should come, they begin to think it could easily take several years. This creates a tendency for imperfect humans to take advantage of the remaining time left.

It's the reason why Jesus gave the parable of the unfaithful and indiscreet slaves in Matthew 24 and Luke 12:

(Matthew 24:48-51) . . .But if ever that evil slave says in his heart, ‘My master is delaying,’ 49 and he starts to beat his fellow slaves and to eat and drink with the confirmed drunkards, 50 the master of that slave will come on a day that he does not expect and in an hour that he does not know, 51 and he will punish him with the greatest severity and will assign him his place with the hypocrites. There is where his weeping and the gnashing of his teeth will be.

(Luke 12:44-48) . . .. 45 But if ever that slave should say in his heart, ‘My master delays coming,’ and starts to beat the male and female servants and to eat and drink and get drunk, 46 the master of that slave will come on a day that he is not expecting him and at an hour that he does not know, and he will punish him with the greatest severity and assign him a part with the unfaithful ones. 47 Then that slave who understood the will of his master but did not get ready or do what he asked will be beaten with many strokes. 48 But the one who did not understand and yet did things deserving of strokes will be beaten with few. Indeed, everyone to whom much was given, much will be demanded of him, and the one who was put in charge of much will have more than usual demanded of him.

Surely, this is why Jesus made a point to say that the END could come at any time, as a surprise, during a time you think NOT to be it. How much warning did the city of Sodom get in the days of Lot?

(Luke 17:28-30) . . .Likewise, just as it occurred in the days of Lot: they were eating, they were drinking, they were buying, they were selling, they were planting, they were building. 29 But on the day that Lot went out of Sodʹom, it rained fire and sulfur from heaven and destroyed them all. 30 It will be the same on that day when the Son of man is revealed.

Also, note that the expression "that day when the Son of man is revealed" is parallel to the use of the word "parousia" in Matthew. So we know that the Parousia [revelation] must happen at a time when no one can predict the times and seasons, which are in the Father's jurisdiction. (Acts 1:6-8). Jesus emphasized that we cannot use current events like wars, earthquakes, pestilence as a way to figure out the parousia. He says we would see such things, and in that limited sense they were a kind of sign that the world would see both normal things and abnormal things right up until the end. (Pestilence in one place, but men saying everything is peaceful and secure in another place.) But they could NOT give us any knowledge about the timing of the parousia.

(Luke 17:23, 24) . . .And people will say to you, ‘See there!’ or, ‘See here!’ Do not go out or chase after them. 24 For just as lightning flashes from one part of heaven to another part of heaven, so the Son of man will be in his day.

[Note again that "the Son of man ... in his day" is the parallel to "parousia" in Matthew.]

No one should be able to say, oh look at this war, "See here!" it is the greatest war ever seen, or "Look at this great earthquake, or famine, or pestilence, see there!" These things are going to happen, just like people going on with their lives: getting married, and eating and drinking and buying and selling is going to happen, too. But these are not "signs of the end." It's easy to get misled into believing such things, which is why Jesus had to warn us that this is not the Christian way to look at things.

(Matthew 24:3-8) . . .“Tell us, when will these things be, and what will be the sign of your presence [parousia] and of the conclusion [destructive END] of the system of things?” 4 In answer Jesus said to them: “Look out that nobody misleads you, 5 for many will come on the basis of my name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will mislead many. 6 You are going to hear of wars and reports of wars. See that you are not alarmed, for these things must take place, but the end is not yet. 7 “For nation will rise against nation and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be food shortages and earthquakes in one place after another. 8 All these things are a beginning [not the end] of pangs of distress.

We should expect that people will be saying "See Here!" and "See There!" about this or that pestilence or war or earthquake, etc. But this is no indication of the end. The end cannot be calculated, it could just as easily happen while people were acting as they generally have since the creation's beginning until now: eating, drinking, getting married:

(Matthew 24:36-44) 36 “Concerning that day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father. 37 For just as the days of Noah were, so the presence of the Son of man will be. 38 For as they were in those days before the Flood, eating and drinking, men marrying and women being given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark, 39 and they took no note until the Flood came and swept them all away, so the presence [parousia] of the Son of man will be. 40 Then two men will be in the field; one will be taken along and the other abandoned. 41 Two women will be grinding at the hand mill; one will be taken along and the other abandoned. 42 Keep on the watch, therefore, because you do not know on what day your Lord is coming. 43 “But know one thing: If the householder had known in what watch the thief was coming, he would have kept awake and not allowed his house to be broken into. 44 On this account, you too prove yourselves ready, because the Son of man is coming at an hour that you do not think to be it.

Note again, by the way, that the "day your Lord is coming" is paralleled with the "parousia of the Son of man." So we can't know when the parousia starts. The Parousia is coming at an hour that you do not think to be it. It's unchristian to try, and it's unchristian to use the mistake that the early disciples made as an excuse to make the same mistake today.

(Acts 1:7) 7 He said to them: “It does not belong to you to know the times or seasons that the Father has placed in his own jurisdiction.

1 hour ago, JW Insider said:

In a nearly related topic, how many are using Zoom for their meetings this weekend? Are your meetings one-way, or can you participate with answers to questions, for example?

Not this weekend, but starting with the mid-week meeting, we will be. They will be held in ‘Zoom rooms’—who would have thought it? In the meanwhile, different options for different friends, even entire congregations. Many have streamed meetings from jw.org. A trial meeting which would ordinarily be the meeting for field service was held Saturday. Most took some time to get their heads around the app, including me. Some never made it at all. But I have not the slightest doubt that anyone desiring will be brought up to speed in fairly short order. It is not that hard. Meanwhile, though not an elder, I make it a point to phone one or two each day, and I try to think of ones who may be at some risk of falling through the cracks.

27 minutes ago, TrueTomHarley said:

But I have not the slightest doubt that anyone desiring will be brought up to speed in fairly short order. It is not that hard. Meanwhile, though not an elder, I make it a point to phone one or two each day, and I try to think of ones who may be at some risk of falling through the cracks.

Yep. Pretty much the same everywhere I think. It's looks like a pretty good solution and keeps the whole meeting from being just watching another congregation, which can't keep sustained anyway, at least for a while. Many looking to get their own bread and wine emblems for Memorial and listening in for talks, song and prayer. The count will likely be off this year.

Some people seem happy because they think we are in disarray..... we are not .... our hopes are getting better now that we are entering the period we have prepared for and kept in expectation of. Things are moving along nicely - as expected.

Quote @JW Insider "No one should be able to say, oh look at this war, "See here!" it is the greatest war ever seen, or "Look at this great earthquake, or famine, or pestilence, "

But isn't that what the GB and CCJW do ?   Don't they misuse the sufferings of others to hype up their own agenda ? 

Didn't a GB member say he was not bothered by this virus and that  'we were expecting it to happen' as part of a sign of the end times ? 

6 minutes ago, 4Jah2me said:

he was not bothered by this virus and that  'we were expecting it to happen' as part of a sign of

I was expecting a black swan event..... (the virus is bad - but it has been mismanaged which makes it easier to bring more permanent and stringent  emergency legislations to many countries). It will to bring down the established supply chains,  many businesses and probably the petro-dollar.   The world will be changed after this event.  They will try to return to normal but things will deteriorate (food shortages and financial recession ) so that governments will willingly give certain aspects of their power over to he UN eventually and the UN  world banking system to promote greater cooperation.  

The image of the beast  will be the 8th king and looked upon as the structure to bring world cooperation, peace and better security.

The Pope and leaders of 2 other mainstream religions in the west will ride high on the political system to take the initiative to bring only "one god" to the world......And write Jesus out of the bible in unity with other members of the religious system. (The Pope already postponed the unveiling of this event from May to October 2020 ...due to Corona). I believe it will be the beginning of the signs jehovah has been so gracious to give us ahead of time regarding the image of the beast and the world empire of false religion. 

This is my personal opinion . ....because I totally agree with the time-line the slave has given us.  They are Jehovahs slave albeit imperfect men..... but I concur with their identification of the beast, the image of the beast and the harlot.... totally...... and  with 1914.  

It may take a little longer than I think...... but in my opinion...... things are panting towards the end...... it will not be late. 

42 minutes ago, Arauna said:

may take a little longer than I think...... but in my opinion...... things are panting towards the end...... it will not be late

I agree with you on this and about the corona virus and how they will exploit it, to the fulfillment of the prophecies in Revelation. 

Have you heard about the simulation of a corona virus pandemic "they" run in October, 2 months prior to the outbreak? If not, you can see two videos about that on the topic I posted.

5 hours ago, JW Insider said:

This creates a tendency for imperfect humans to take advantage of the remaining time left.

Maybe some do. But for me it has an other effect. I get time to mature spiritually. I don't consider myself yet fully in right form.

Colossians 1:22 he has now reconciled by means of that one’s fleshly body through his death, in order to present you holy and unblemished and open to no accusation before him—…..

27 to whom God has been pleased to make known among the nations the glorious riches of this sacred secret, which is Christ in union with you, the hope of his glory. 28  He is the one we are proclaiming, admonishing everyone and teaching everyone in all wisdom, so that we may present every person complete in union with Christ. 29  To this end I am indeed working hard, exerting myself with his strength that is operating powerfully within me.

Philippians 1:6 For I am confident of this very thing, that the one who started a good work in you will bring it to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

Philippians 1:9 And this is what I continue praying, that your love may abound still more and more with accurate knowledge and full discernment; 10  that you may make sure of the more important things, so that you may be flawless and not stumbling others up to the day of Christ;  

Philippians 2:15 so that you may come to be blameless and innocent, children of God without a blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you are shining as illuminators in the world, 16  keeping a tight grip on the word of life. Then I may have reason for rejoicing in Christ’s day.

1 Thessalonians 5: 23  May the God of peace himself sanctify you completely. And may the spirit and soul and body of you brothers, sound in every respect, be preserved blameless at the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ.  

1 Thessalonians 3: 12 Moreover, may the Lord cause you to increase, yes, to abound in love for one another and for all, just as we do for you, 13  so that he may make your hearts firm, blameless in holiness before our God and Father at the presence of our Lord Jesus with all his holy ones.

2 Peter 3:14 Therefore, beloved ones, since you are awaiting these things, do your utmost to be found finally by him spotless and unblemished and in peace.

Hebrews 12:14 Pursue peace with all people and the sanctification without which no man will see the Lord. 

5 hours ago, JW Insider said:

Many looking to get their own bread and wine emblems for Memorial and listening in for talks, song and prayer. The count will likely be off this year.

It is my understanding that a Memorial can be properly done with only one person, if necessary. (?)

I seem to remember people in prison doing it alone, and with what materials they could scrounge, or none at all.

Also I seem to remember that if circumstances prohibited, it could be done a lunar month later, on the next full moon.

comments?