The World News Media

Jack Ryan

JW.org symbol (icon)  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Is the use of the JW.org symbol (icon) the same as one using a cross?

• Yes
    • No

• Views 3.3k
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally I would never grab my jw.org button and pray to Jehovah with it. I would never wear it as a symbol of the Christ .  I would not hang it in my house or in my car for a form of protection. An

A good soldier always follows his regimental flag. The Watch Tower Bible And Tract Society is our flag. w 1917 p318

Not really. But I know that Brother Rutherford made a point to speak often of "The Signal" which technically meant the Kingdom that started in 1914. The "Signal" was always described exactly the same

Posted Images

I guess it would be argued that the jworg icon isn't used as an object of worship like the cross has been. However ...

Re-posting from an older jw-archive thread:

... the frequency of seeing arts, crafts, jewelry, buttons, bags, flower beds and so on with the jwdotorg logo strikes me as obsessive.

Obsessive with ... a website. The focus of attention has become increasingly centered on branding, or on cartoon characters, or on the org's new audio-visual mega-machine.

*** w50 6/15 p. 186 par. 38 A Victory Dedicated to Jehovah’s Honor ***

"There is this to remember concerning organizations generally. When young and growing, fighting their way up, zeal is strong and evangelistic; but when they have won their place and become strong and wealthy and respected they often lose their virile strength and become lax, fat, sluggish, and point with pride to their size, and put their directives above God’s commands. That has happened to the organizations of the big and prosperous, orthodox churches of Christendom. The organization is served and worshiped instead of the one it claims to represent, namely Jehovah God. But this snare will never catch Jehovah’s cleansed people today ... "

"But this snare will never catch Jehovah’s cleansed people today" - 65 years on from those words, and observing the recent trends developing, it appears to me that with all the emphasis on the 'seen' (2 Cor. 4:18; 5:7), JWs are walking headlong into that very snare.

*** w50 6/15 p. 186 par. 38 A Victory Dedicated to Jehovah’s Honor ***

"There is this to remember concerning organizations generally. When young and growing, fighting their way up, zeal is strong and evangelistic; but when they have won their place and become strong and wealthy and respected they often lose their virile strength and become lax, fat, sluggish, and point with pride to their size, and put their directives above God’s commands. That has happened to the organizations of the big and prosperous, orthodox churches of Christendom. The organization is served and worshiped instead of the one it claims to represent, namely Jehovah God. But this snare will never catch Jehovah’s cleansed people today ... "

Thank you Ann, for bringing this quote to our attention.  If only everyone in the organization could see the truth in those words and how far from them the organization has strayed today. 

“Therefore, son of man, speak to the house of Israel, and say to them, ‘Thus says the Lord God: “In this too your fathers have blasphemed Me, by being unfaithful to Me. 

When I brought them into the land concerning which I had raised My hand in an oath to give them, and they saw all the high hills and all the thick trees, there they offered their sacrifices and provoked Me with their offerings. There they also sent up their sweet aroma and poured out their drink offerings. 

Then I said to them, ‘What is this high place to which you go?’ So its name is called Bamah to this day.”’ 

Therefore say to the house of Israel, ‘Thus says the Lord God: “Are you defiling yourselves in the manner of your fathers, and committing harlotry according to their abominations?

For when you offer your gifts and make your sons pass through the fire, you defile yourselves with all your idols, even to this day. So shall I be inquired of by you, O house of Israel? As I live,” says the Lord God, “I will not be inquired of by you. 

What you have in your mind shall never be, when you say, ‘We will be like the Gentiles, like the families in other countries, serving wood and stone.’

As I live,” says the Lord God, “surely with a mighty hand, with an outstretched arm, and with fury poured out, I will rule over you. 

I will bring you out from the peoples and gather you out of the countries where you are scattered, with a mighty hand, with an outstretched arm, and with fury poured out. 

And I will bring you into the wilderness of the peoples, and there I will plead My case with you face to face. 

Just as I pleaded My case with your fathers in the wilderness of the land of Egypt, so I will plead My case with you,” says the Lord God.

“I will make you pass under the rod, and I will bring you into the bond of the covenant;

I will purge the rebels from among you, and those who transgress against Me; I will bring them out of the country where they dwell, but they shall not enter the land of Israel. Then you will know that I am the Lord.  Ezek 20:27-38

“…and make your sons pass through fire” 

We know fire can be used literally by God as well as symbolically through God's spirit and His truthful words as in Jer 23:29; Heb 12:29; Ps 29:7; Rev 4:5; Deut 4:24; Ex 24:17

Satan also has the power to use literal fire to destroy, as in Job 1:16, as well as symbolic “fire” which also brings destruction through false teachings and condemnation upon the righteous, (in the manner of disfellowshipping those who will not accept false teachings). Job 2:11; 4:1,7,17; 5:1,2,; 8:1,3,4,6 11;1,3-5,14,15,20; Ezek 22:9; Ps 35:15; Jer 6:28; 2 Pet 2:3; 1 Cor 4:13; John 16:2; Isa 66:5

God’s symbolic “fire” destroys the lies and idolatry of the false prophets.  Hosea 6:5; Matt 24:51,50; 2 Cor 10:4; 6:7; Jer 1:10; 1 Tim 6:12; Matt 7:19; 13:30; 2 Thess 1:8; 1 Cor 3:13,15; Rev 8:5-8; Luke 3:17; Rev 14:16

• 3 weeks later...

I would say it's worshiped. I mean, what do disciples direct folks to? Jesus gathered people to Himself, and told the apostles to point others to Himself. If one is adamant in pointing someone to a website that claims to be the only way to salvation,  then those people are disciples of that website. 

• 3 weeks later...

Personally I would never grab my jw.org button and pray to Jehovah with it. I would never wear it as a symbol of the Christ .  I would not hang it in my house or in my car for a form of protection. And I would only direct ones to it as a teaching tool that leads them to their bibles and the truth Jesus taught according to jehovahs direction. These are the last days and Jehovah is trying to reach every searching soul. Disciples of truth. Just my two scents?

On 6/19/2016 at 7:32 AM, Carmen Erwin said:

Personally I would never grab my jw.org button and pray to Jehovah with it. I would never wear it as a symbol of the Christ .  I would not hang it in my house or in my car for a form of protection. And I would only direct ones to it as a teaching tool that leads them to their bibles and the truth Jesus taught according to jehovahs direction. These are the last days and Jehovah is trying to reach every searching soul. Disciples of truth. Just my two scents?

A good soldier always follows his regimental flag. The Watch Tower Bible And Tract Society is our flag. w 1917 p318

η ΕΤΑΙΡΙΑ ΣΚΟΠΙΑ ειναι η σημαια μας w1917p318.jpg

@Giannis Diamantis .... I did not expect to see that in writing. I do believe that this was subsequently abandoned in our later literature especially during the fight at the US Supreme Court regarding the flag salute in the 1940's

Maybe @JW Insider will know when exactly this began to change.

I remember back then that some IBSA brothers even went to fight in WWI and it was not considered "wrong" as an example of neutrality not being fully understood as we learned in later years.

12 hours ago, The Librarian said:

Maybe @JW Insider will know when exactly this began to change.

Not really. But I know that Brother Rutherford made a point to speak often of "The Signal" which technically meant the Kingdom that started in 1914. The "Signal" was always described exactly the same as a 'a flag.' Even under Brother Knorr's administration, we sang about "The Signal" in several of the Kingdom Songs up until 1966 (the year before I was baptized). I still remember singing about "the glorious Signal raised" in Kingdom songs, and it was clear that this was the equivalent of 'our flag.' But it was a flag for a 'new nation' born in 1914, without regard to earthly political divisions. Even our Supreme Court arguments about the flag in the 1940's included this idea that we look to a 'flag' that supersedes the flags of nations.

• *** w50 3/15 p. 92 ***   for everywhere and in every language Jehovah’s people were holding high the Signal.

• *** w50 10/1 p. 350 par. 4 “Droop Not Your Hands” ***   It has drawn them to the heavenly Signal, the Kingdom, and has unified them all over the earth, in utter contempt of the racial, color, social, language, political, national, and religious differences and divisions of this world.

The problem was that so many talks and Watchtower articles always tied the "Kingdom" ("The Signal") right back to the Watch Tower organization, as the visible head of that Kingdom that we must "obey". In Brother Rutherford's time it was common to put into print that 'obedience to the [Watch Tower] Society was the same as obedience to the Lord.' (One "Bulletin" [which became "The Informant" which become "The Kingdom Ministry" which became "Our Kingdom Service"] actually said that 'obedience to Brother Rutherford was the same as obedience to the Lord.') I don't recall this idea being stated so directly after Rutherford died, but it was still the idea during the time of Brother Knorr. In a talk he referred to the idea that the Society was the "signal-bearer" and we were like rank-and-file soldiers walking in "lockstep" with the Society.

This hearkens back to the idea under Russell when he was asked if he himself was the "faithful and wise servant" and he would say that "'Some say I am, while some say the Society is.' Both statements were true for Brother Russell was in fact the Society."  -- Watchtower, March 1, 1923, p.68

This idea is still fairly obvious in the 1950 Watchtower, quoted below, nearly a decade after Brother Rutherford died. The "sign" or "signal" of the Kingdom was the fact that "miracles" were being wrought spiritually through the earthly, visible part of the Kingdom. The Society was thought of as a "living servant." It was the real representative of the "anointed remnant."

• *** w50 8/1 pp. 231-232 pars. 2-4 Servant’s Care of the Master’s Goods ***   The Kingdom Signal is raised on high, the road prepared for the returning exiles. The sheep are protected against aggressive and ruthless men, and those who would harm their eternal interests. The barren places in the world are blossoming, for where only a few years ago one or two persons were praising Jehovah now there are hundreds, yes, and thousands. The eyes of the blind are being opened, the ears of the deaf unstopped, the tongue of the dumb loosened, and the lame can leap. These miracles are now being wrought in the spiritual sense, but in the new world they will be realized in a very literal manner.  Other interests (“goods”) of the Kingdom are also receiving the most careful, thoughtful and thorough attention, for the whole structure of the Lord’s visible organization is watched and weak parts continually strengthened. The very charter of the Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society was brought up to date, and so the Society was made a more direct, living part and a powerful, usable instrument. Then there are the interests of organizing and directing all the branches, missionary homes, Watchtower School of Gilead, radio station, Kingdom farms, circuits and districts, all the assemblies, companies, pioneers, public witness service, Bible studies, Theocratic ministry school. There are many more new world interests which are “goods” or “possessions” placed in the care of the “servant” Yes, these “goods” have been placed under the jurisdiction of the anointed remnant with its legal governing body operating through the Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society. No one else in the whole world has been given or made responsible for these possessions, nor given the authority to direct and handle such interests. To some readers this may seem a hard statement; but it is the truth, and is made for the protection of the Lord’s “other sheep”, that they may recognize this “faithful and wise servant” and know the “master” has confidence in his discharging faithfully what has been entrusted. Therefore, see now the progressive works of the returned Master in using his faithful people. If we see these things it becomes our bounden duty to cooperate with this servant to receive favor.

The 1978 "Victorious Faith" International Conventions blended the theme of putting faith in Jehovah as the same as putting faith in the organization, although this is not as closely related to "flag" allegiance as is "bounden duty" and "cooperation" mentioned above.

• *** w79 3/1 p. 18 par. 20 Faith in Jehovah’s Victorious Organization ***   So Jehovah’s visible organization came off victorious once again to his vindication. For dedicated, baptized persons to share in that victory, what did it take? Faith in Jehovah’s theocratic organization. Did the remnant of spiritual Israelites and their theocratic companions, the “great crowd” of Christ’s “other sheep,” have such victorious faith? Yes!

The more recent change in the July 15, 2013 Watchtower about the "faithful slave" not yet being appointed over all the belongings was the first major adjustment to idea of the "given authority" of the 'faithful slave.'

• *** w13 7/15 p. 8 par. 17 “Tell Us, When Will These Things Be?” ***    In the past, we have stated in our publications that these last four references apply to Jesus’ arriving, or coming, in 1918. As an example, take Jesus’ statement about “the faithful and discreet slave.” (Read Matthew 24:45-47.) We understood that the “arriving” mentioned in verse 46 was linked to the time when Jesus came to inspect the spiritual condition of the anointed in 1918 and that the appointment of the slave over all the Master’s belongings occurred in 1919. (Mal. 3:1) However, a further consideration of Jesus’ prophecy indicates that an adjustment in our understanding of the timing of certain aspects of Jesus’ prophecy is needed. . . . So it is reasonable to conclude that Jesus’ arrival to appoint the faithful slave over all his belongings, mentioned at Matthew 24:46, 47, also applies to his future coming, during the great tribulation.

But the new idea about authority "over all his belongings" being future, probably has very little impact on the ongoing idea of "obedience" and "loyalty" to the visible authority of the "faithful slave." We don't use the term, but those words together are exactly the same as "allegiance." In effect, we 'pledge allegiance to the anointed remnant as represented through the governing body.' The terms are a little different today, because we tend to remove the idea of "The Society" and "The Watch Tower" from the equation. But since most of the "anointed remnant" are considered to be in the same "fold" as the "other sheep" from a practical standpoint, we can't avoid the idea that our obedience [allegiance] is still to the governing body which is still associated with the "Society." That's why we still get counsel such as the following:

• *** w15 3/15 p. 29 par. 17 Loyally Supporting Christ’s Brothers ***    The growing number of prospective sheep count it a privilege to support Christ’s brothers not only in the preaching work but also in other practical ways. For example, they give financial contributions and help to build Kingdom Halls, Assembly Halls, and branch facilities, and they loyally obey those appointed by “the faithful and discreet slave” to take the lead.—Matt. 24:45-47; Heb. 13:17.

• *** w14 8/15 p. 21 par. 2 Hear Jehovah’s Voice Wherever You Are ***    In effect, Jesus also conveys Jehovah’s voice to us as he directs the congregation through “the faithful and discreet slave. (Matt. 24:45) We need to take this guidance and direction seriously, for our everlasting life depends on our obedience.—Heb. 5:9.

So the idea from a practical standpoint hasn't changed even if the wording has been transformed from "Watch Tower Society" to "governing body" and from "flag" to words meaning the same as "allegiance."

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/21/2016 at 8:27 AM, JW Insider said:

The Kingdom Signal is raised on high

I should have included another word that was often interchanged with "The Signal" which is "the standard." Rutherford, especially, did not mean "standard" in the usual sense of living up to certain standards, but used it with the definitions found here in Merriam- Webster:

Full Definition of standard

1. 1 :  a conspicuous object (as a banner) formerly carried at the top of a pole and used to mark a rallying point especially in battle or to serve as an emblem

2. 2a :  a long narrow tapering flag that is personal to an individual or corporation and bears heraldic devicesb :  the personal flag of the head of a state or of a member of a royal familyc :  an organization flag carried by a mounted or motorized military unitd :  banner 1

Therefore, when Rutherford said the following at the convention in 1941, he tied it directly to the flags of nations:

"Then says the prophet of God further, "Lift up a standard for the people." What standard? Certainly not Hitler's swastika . . . Certainly not the flag of that religious institution . . . [Catholicism] . . . Now as for the flag of the United States, everyone here loves that flag and loves that for which it stands. And everyone here puts forth an honest and sincere endeavor to obey every law for which it stands. The standard that you lift up to the people, therefore, enables them to see the real meaning of the flag of the United States."

What about the JW icon in comparison to the cross and crown pin?

----[jv p.200]  For years, Bible Students wore a cross and crown as a badge of identification, and this symbol was on the front cover of the “Watch Tower” from 1891 to 1931. But in 1928 it was emphasized that not a decorative symbol but one’s activity as a witness showed he was a Christian.----

-----[yb75 p.148] Another change in viewpoint involved the “cross and crown” symbol, which appeared on the Watch Tower cover beginning with the issue of January 1891. In fact, for years many Bible Students wore a pin of this kind. By way of description, C. W. Barber writes: “It was a badge really, with a wreath of laurel leaves as the border and within the wreath was a crown with a cross running through it on an angle. It looked quite attractive and was our idea at that time of what it meant to take up our ‘cross’ and follow Christ Jesus in order to be able to wear the crown of victory in due time.”

Concerning the wearing of “cross and crown pins,” Lily R. Parnell comments: “This to Brother Rutherford’s mind was Babylonish and should be discontinued. He told us that when we went to the people’s homes and began to talk, that was the witness in itself.” Accordingly, reflecting on the 1928 Bible Students convention in Detroit, Michigan, Brother Suiter writes: “At the assembly the cross and crown emblems were shown to be not only unnecessary but objectionable. So we discarded these items of jewelry.” Some three years thereafter, beginning with its issue of October 15, 1931, The Watchtower no longer bore the cross and crown symbol on its cover.-----

• 3 weeks later...

Very flexible use of the English Language here....Its a Logo. Not a symbol. It doesnt represent a concept. Its not a visual image. It doesnt suggest an idea. Its a logo.

Many institutions the world over use logos to represent themselves. Correlating the JW logo with the Cross of Christendom is disingenous hyperbole at best.

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.