The World News Media

The Meaning Behind the Name

Witness

“Today, Jehovah directs his organization in a way that reflects his personality, purpose, and standards.”  w20 October p. 20-21

Is the organization directed by YHWH’s standards, or by “Jehovah’s” standards, a counterfeit name representing an earthly organization devised by men?  This hybridized name emerged in 12-1300’s and was well published by the 1500’s. But surprisingly, research shows that the Greek form, ΙΕΗΩΟΥΑ has been found in gnostic (heretical, anti-biblical) writings, dating as far back as the second century.  If a JW is reading this, how do you feel knowing that the name you apply to the Almighty God and which liberally falls off your tongue, had its origins in Gnosticism? 

Below is a photo of the name “Jehovah” written in Latin that is on an old church built in the late 1700’s in Norway. Notice how it is broken down in the triangle -

image.jpeg

“le hova”

I am understanding that the Hebrew word for “hovah” means “ruin, calamity, disaster”.  JW leaders have inserted this name into the Hebrew and presumptuously, into the Greek text of their Bible.  They have stated that their reason for choosing “Jehovah” is because it is a commonly accepted verbal and written use for the tetragrammaton. In the Bible, I cannot think of a time when it was acceptable for the nation of Israel to bend in favor of changing and diminishing the importance of God’s word, based on the opinion of outside nations. How much more important is the preservation of the name God gave us.   (Deut 4:2; 12:32; Ps 119:89; Prov 30:5-6)

But it goes further than this.  JWs have come to revere the literal name so passionately, that even its pronunciation on the lips is understood to bring protection, as one might wear a charm around the neck.

About the importance JWs put upon the visible written name “Jehovah”, an individual raised in a JW household told me,

“JWs hold onto that name like a talisman, even opening the Bible up to Psalms 83:18 and placing it in their bedroom when they go to sleep, in an attempt to thwart demons away from harming them. My mom does this all the time, so do her sisters.  My mom even said her mother did it once, and the demons left her alone.  This is of course because Satan and his demons are playing both sides, and when they hear the name of “Jehovah”, they pretend to go away.  They (JWs) have lost all connection in knowing God.  This counterfeit name which reflects Satan’s attributes and nothing about God, and is blasphemed among the “Gentiles”, is because of the wicked leaders of “Israel” today (Rom 2:24)”

“O YHWH, remember this: the enemy taunts, and foolish people treat Your name with contempt.”  Ps 74:18

YHWH (יהוה YHWH, Strong's #3068): Virtually all translations from Judaism and Christianity use "the LORD" for the Hebrew name of God – YHWH. The original pronunciation of the name can never be determined with complete accuracy but in Hebraic thought it is the meaning of a name that is more important than its pronunciation. The Hebrew YHWH is the verb hawah meaning "to exist" with the prefix y meaning "he." Therefore, the word YHWH means "he exists." https://yahawah-is.blogspot.com/2019/08/yahawah-he-exist.html

Strong’s #H1933  haw-vaw' or hâvâh – “to breathe, to be (in the sense of existence)”

Contrast that with Strong’s #H1943   hôvâh, ho-vaw' – “ruin, mischief”, “misfortune, calamity”; used in Isa 47:11; Ezek 7:26 

Going back to the opening quote, what personality, purpose and standards does the organization reflect - that of a God that breathes life, or a god that causes disaster?  Well, consider its high rate of child abuse over many years; where in numerous cases, the elder leaders are the perpetrators.  This is a snowball effect, leading to constant battles in the court systems to protect the organization’s image as “clean”. (Matt 23:25)  It battles to protect its riches, whether this involves conquering abuse victims in the courts, or merely the ambitious pursuit to squelch previous members, solely out of vengeance. (Eccl 4:1; Exod 23:6,7; Prov 18:5; 31:8,9; Jer 6:13-14; Matt 5:23-26)

Remember also, the broken families resulting from shunning and the disfellowshipping act against those who reject the organization and its lies. This includes the disfellowshipping of anointed and disciples of Jesus, when fully supporting his teachings over the doctrine of men.  (Isa 66:5; Luke 6:22; 21:22-22; Matt 10:21-22,36; John 16:1-4) (Rom 16:17-18; 2 John 1:9;Titus 1:9-11; 1 Tim 6:3,4)

Consider the oppression it has laid on all JWs, persistently imploring them for donations and servitude to “Jehovah’s organization”. (Isa 51:23; James 5:1-6; Phil 3:19;1 Cor 10:7; Rom 1:22-25; Rev 13:4)

Any “decree” that the leadership declares as coming from the “spirit-directed organization”, must be obeyed.  ( Matt 24:5; 2 Cor 11:19-20;Rom 6:16; 1 Cor 7:23; Gal 1:10; 2 Pet 2:1-3; Col 2:8; Rev 13:10)

Early in Wt’s history, when the name “Jehovah” was associated with the word, “organization”, this led JWs to believe that the organization is the only way to eternal salvation. (John 14:6) The decree was eventually enforced at the time baptism, of the necessary dedication to identify with this organization. (2 Kings 21:21-22; Isa 46:5; Rom 1:25; Rev 13:1,2,11,12,16,17; 19:20

This act of devotion was once warned by its leaders to be a “modern version of idolatry”.  (wt 1990/11/1 p. 26) You’ll not find this sourced on the website, since the entire year of “nourishing spiritual food” has been removed. (Matt 7:15-20)

Although, you can find it in the link below, along with the contradiction to their quote made in the same month: 

The Cost of Life

Those are the wicked standards that this idol upholds, above and beyond the holy word of God.  (Jonah 2:8; Isa 8:20; 30:8-13; Gal 1:6-9) 

Yet most concerning, is the affliction that has come upon God’s spiritual nation of the anointed “Israel”, who have relinquished their identity as a holy priesthood to a massive army of elders claiming to represent them. (1 Pet 2:5,9; Ezek 44:6-9; 2 Chron 13:9) Not only has their role as God’s priests been trampled into the dust, but any truth they could offer if joined together under their Head, Jesus Christ, has been thrown to the ground. (Isa 29:2-4; Dan 11:16,45; 7:23;8:12; Matt 5:13;1 John 2:27)

The bait offered by false prophets/teachers, “captivated” the anointed over the years, allowing them to be ensnared into idolatry and lies; and hauled off to a symbolic “Babylon”, where the organization’s adulterous “daughters” and “Gentile” helpers, dominate these “kings of the earth”.  (Prov 1:10-12; Isa 28:15; Eccl 10:5-7; Isa 28:15; Matt 24:4,5,24,25,48-49; Matt 24:15-16; 2 Thess 2:3-4; Rev 8:10-11; 9:1-4; Rev 11:1,2; 13:5-7; 17:1-2; 16:13-6; 18:4-8)

Do any of these traits that are the result of wicked statutes enforced by men, reflect a God whose name indicates His power to give life - “to breathe”, or “He will cause to be”?

When Jesus said,
"I made known to them your name, and I will continue to make it known, that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them.” (John 17:26).....

Jesus was speaking to Jewish men who already knew the simple fact of God's name and how to say it.
Obviously, this was not what Jesus had in mind in speaking of teaching others God's name.
    How long does it take to hear a name, and know how to say it? Only a moment.
Yet Jesus said that after making God's name known to his followers,
he continues to make that name known.
(John 14:8-10,7; Col 2:9; 1:19; John 1:14; Matt 11:27)

His stated objective?
That through a deeper knowledge of the meaning of God's name, they will come to love God (John 17:26).
Pharaoh did not have such knowledge (Exod 5:2), despite speaking God's name.

Knowing God's name and calling upon it then (in the biblical sense), is defined as appreciating and loving God as a person, and putting our trust in Him...
not as pronouncing a name, or repeating and using that pronunciation.

When we are told that "calling on the name of Yhvh" means our salvation (Rom 10:13; Joel 2:32);
It speaks of those survivors, as those putting their trust in the meaning of that name, by relying on Him (Isa 10:20; 17:7-6; 10:22; Hosea 3:5)....

NOT IN MEN (Ps 118:8; 146:3; Jer 17:5),

“Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. 22 On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ 23 But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you craftsmen (you “workers”) of iniquity.”  Matt 7:21-23

AND NOT IN AN ORGANIZATION (Luke 23:30; Rev 13:8; 6:16; 16:20)

From Calling on the Name of God

O Lord God, to whom vengeance belongs—
O God, to whom vengeance belongs, shine forth!
Rise up, O Judge of the earth;
Render punishment to the proud.
Lord, how long will the wicked,
How long will the wicked triumph?

They utter speech, and speak insolent things;
All the workers of iniquity boast in themselves.
They break in pieces Your people, O Lord,
And afflict Your heritage.
They slay the widow and the stranger,
And murder the fatherless.
Yet they say, “The Lord does not see,
Nor does the God of Jacob understand.”

Understand, you senseless among the people;
And you fools, when will you be wise?
He who planted the ear, shall He not hear?
He who formed the eye, shall He not see?
10 He who instructs the nations, shall He not correct,
He who teaches man knowledge?
11 The Lord knows the thoughts of man,
That they are futile.

12 Blessed is the man whom You instruct, O Lord,
And teach out of Your law,
13 That You may give him rest from the days of adversity,
Until the pit is dug for the wicked.
14 For the Lord will not cast off His people,
Nor will He forsake His inheritance.
15 But judgment will return to righteousness,
And all the upright in heart will follow it.

16 Who will rise up for me against the evildoers?
Who will stand up for me against the workers of iniquity?
17 Unless the Lord had been my help,
My soul would soon have settled in silence.
18 If I say, “My foot slips,”
Your mercy, O Lord, will hold me up.
19 In the multitude of my anxieties within me,
Your comforts delight my soul.

20 SHALL THE THRONE OF INIQUITY WHICH DEVISES EVIL BY LAW, HAVE FELLOWSHIP WITH YOU?

21 They gather together against the life of the righteous,
And condemn innocent blood.
22 But the Lord has been my defense,
And my God the rock of my refuge.
23 He has brought on them their own iniquity,
And shall cut them off in their own wickedness;
The Lord our God shall cut them off.  Ps 94

The Mark of Slavery

"Trample" - How Does it Happen?

Jesus and logo.JPG

• Views 455
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Witness said:

But surprisingly, research shows that the Greek form, ΙΕΗΩΟΥΑ has been found in gnostic (heretical, anti-biblical) writings, dating as far back as the second century.  If a JW is reading this, how do you feel knowing that the name you apply to the Almighty God and which liberally falls off your tongue, had its origins in Gnosticism? 

Why should it make a difference, with the origin of the name of God, and how or who used it? YHWH was attested to in ancient script. The name Yahweh is an earlier version of YHWH. Some Israelites compared YHWH to Baal. Historians do the same. 

The name Jehovah is a modern translation of YHWH. That's the point you keep missing.

What the post does indicate is, malice against God by his old, mid, or modern name.

The point to the reader should be, why Christendom has erased the name of God in their publications and bible and substitute it with the general term GOD or LORD. Why people keep trying to insult God by arguing what his name is.

The Catholic Church removed from its pillars the Tetragrammaton

1-Timothy 4:5, John 17:17, 1-Thessalonians 4:7, Romans 15:16, etc.

1 hour ago, Peter Carroll said:

jw.org is the only organization that has the right to promote this holy name

There are earlier and modern organizations that use the name of God in modern English. The Watchtower is not exclusive and shouldn't be. The name of God should be known by all the earths inhabitants.

http://jehovahjesuits.org/

What shouldn't be, is the argument of God's name. God does have a proper name, and it has been attested to for millennia.

Helons Pilgrimage to Jerusalem Volume 1 by Frederick Strauss 1824

From his boyhood the author had been inspired, by the perusal of similar works on Pagan antiquities, with the wish to exhibit such a picture of the Jewish nation; and, encouraged by men whose opinion he valued, he had at an early period of life formed the resolution to undertake it, had sketched the general outline of his work, and even executed particular parts of it.

The plan of the work is the following. A young Jew, who had been enamoured of the prevailing Grecian philosophy, has returned to the observance of the law of his fathers, at one of those important crises in life which decide the character of succeeding periods. Bent on the fulfilment of the law, which he believes it impossible to accomplish anywhere but in the place where the altar of Jehovah is fixed, he makes a journey from Alexandria, where he had been brought up, accompanied by his uncle, to Jerusalem, in the spring of the year 109 before the birth of Christ, remains there during the half year which included the principal religious festivals; becomes a priest; enters into the married state; and, by the guidance of Providence, and varied experience, attains to the conviction, that peace of mind is only to be found in believing in Him who has been promised for the consolation of Israel.

Helons Pilgrimage to Jerusalem Volume 2 by Frederick Strauss 1824

CHAPTER I.

THE SACERDOTAL OFFICE.

A deep melancholy took possession of Helon’s mind, and this day seemed likely to pass even more gloomily than the preceding. The dejection of mind which for several years past had been his habitual companion, had suddenly vanished during the paschal week. The enthusiasm which began at Beersheba, when he knelt down to greet the land of his fathers, had gone on constantly increasing; and he had felt within himself a resolution, which it seemed as if nothing could daunt, to keep the law of Jehovah. But now, though still in the Holy Land and in the city of God, his spirits sunk at every moment; his feelings had been too highly excited, and this depression was the natural consequence. He could not descend to the ordinary occupations of life in Jerusalem, in which, as the city of Jehovah, it seemed to him that a perpetual festival ought to prevail.

Knowing God by Name_ Names of God That Bring Hope and Healing 2003

Jehovah Shalom

The Lord Our Peace

Knowing (and believing in) God's character as revealed in His names provides great protection against enemy attack. God declared through Hosea, "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge" (Hosea 4:6). The implication here is powerful. God is telling us that having an intimate knowledge of His nature and character, as revealed through His names, is a powerful shield against Satan's lies. P-8

The thing to note about the false narrative of the poster is, the use of Gnostic perception. The Gnostic book, Song of God, highlight the modern name of God in a negative light. Therefore, the usage of God’s proper name in Gnostic teachings bears no logical evidence in the proper usage of God’s personal name. A name that has been used by others, not just the Watchtower.

Demiurge / Demiurgos

Pronunciation:  DEHM-ee-urzh

Occurrences:  242

First Reference:  Yeshua 52:36

And unto this did Yeshua add the truth of dread Jehovah, being himself a Demiurge of wrath and fearful judgment; having himself, since ancient times, corrupted the teachings which came from Heaven; to make himself through great perversions, the god of priests and prophets.

Jehovah-Yahweh

Pronunciation:  dzhah-HO-vuh + YAH-way

Occurrences:  245

First Reference:  Yeshua 52:36

And unto this did Yeshua add the truth of dread Jehovah, being himself a Demiurge of wrath and fearful judgment; having himself, since ancient times, corrupted the teachings which came from Heaven; to make himself through great perversions, the god of priests and prophets.

The Gnostic teaching also has a problem with the usage of Yeshua. To them, Yeshua mentioned in the bible is not the correct Yeshua celebrated by Christendom to them.

So, the usage of YHWH or the name of Jesus (Jeshua) is inconsequential to Gnostic teachings. To them, anyone printing the name JESHUA would be wrong.

Michael’s name means “Who is like God?”  Can any man say that he understands God so completely, that he can take confidence in applying a name that was the desire of men, to combine letters in order to apply a verbal and written form of the tetragrammaton?  And if this name was found in Gnostic writings very early on, why doesn't that make any impact on a true worshipper of the Father?  

Who are we to assume that we can create our own name for God?   Although we each have free will, this world is still under the influence of Satan until Christ returns.  He is God’s adversary, His enemy as well as the enemy of Jesus Christ. His power to deceive the innocent is seen through the various religions that have developed, including your own.  

We have the example outlined for us by Jesus, how to address God; but although the Wt. knows there is a choice, they choose to address Him by a name that man has decided is best, and they take such pride in its use.  (Prov 16:18)  Jesus, on the other hand, taught us to be humble before God, approaching Him in pray, by calling Him, “Father”. 

“Therefore, you should pray like this: Our Father in heaven, your name be honored as holy.”  Matt 6:9

There is nothing holy in the name “Jehovah”, either on its surface or behind it.  Of all religions that should know this, it would be those who house the spiritual anointed “Israel” of God.  But they have been taken captive to the empty philosophy of false prophets.  Matt 24:24,25; Col 2:8; 1 Tim 4:1; Rev 13:10.  Not until they disconnect from the power of deception, does it finally sink in - the awareness of the offenses we have committed before God.  (2 Cor 6:14-18)

Notice how all JWs defend a religion that desires to see the world of mankind suffer a disastrous, bloody ruin through your teaching of Armageddon.  Yes, in that respect, the name of your god is appropriate! 2 Cor 11:4,13-15

If only you could see the connection.  (Eph 4:18)

If we are to prepare to meet our God, (Amos 4:11-113)  we should be doing everything we can, to align our lives according to the teachings and examples that Jesus Christ has set, and not by the example set by greedy men, living comfortably behind locked gates, who cannot make one prediction or doctrine, that "remains".   John 15:5,7,16; Matt 7:15-20

If a Christian "doesn't" have confidence and faith on what is written is scripture and in ancient scrolls, then that person is not a Christian that has full understanding in the word of God, but instead challenges the word of God.

That in itself condemns any perception of Christian life.

Our confidence to engage fully in these lives is founded in our faith in God, a God who is absolutely trustworthy (Hebrews 13:8; James 1:16–18). As Christians, we are called to have confidence in God, that the good work of salvation He has begun in us will be completed by Him (Philippians 1:6).

An example of that lack of understanding comes from the poster's own words. "If we are to prepare to meet God" is a condition that false religion praises. Here, the word "meet" is placed in a false narrative. That word should be used as a spiritual reflection on our Christian life. Jeremiah 29:11, Proverbs 27:19, 1-Corinthians 13:12, John 14:6

No one will ever meet our creator, no matter how hard they wish it to be so. 1-Timothy 6:16

This should read Amos 4:11-13.  So, you do not believe God will make His wrath known to His own people, spiritual “Israel” today and those with them.  Interesting how you diminish the ability of God to show His power through Jesus Christ and the army that sides with him.  Rev 12:7; 19:11-16

It is a typical ploy of softening the sins of the Watchtower leaders.  They are blameless, is that right?  They are upright!  Really?  They have set their position in heaven, before Jesus makes that decision upon his return!  And your elders who have robbed God’s priesthood of any identity, will be princes on the earth! 

NO.  These are all lies. That is why the call of Revelation 18:4-8 is to God’s people under covenant.  The sins of Wt have reached up to heaven. 

“I overthrew some of you,
    as when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah,
    and you were as a brand plucked out of the burning;
yet you did not return to me,”
declares the Lord.

12 “Therefore thus I will do to you, O Israel;
    because I will do this to you,
    prepare to meet your God, O Israel!”

13 For behold, he who forms the mountains and creates the wind,
    and declares to man what is his thought,
who makes the morning darkness,
    and treads on the heights of the earth—
    the Lord, the God of hosts, is his name!

“meet” - an encountering, accidental, friendly or hostile

Pharoah “met” God through His miraculous powers to enforce famine, and pestilence, and allowing the divided Red Sea to flow back over Pharoah’s army.   

Rev 6:12-17 - Who are the “kings of the earth” hiding themselves in caves and among the rocks of the symbolic mountains, in Rev 6:12-17?  They are Christ’s anointed kings taking sides, whether fighting with him in truth, or against him by following the rebellious “kings” ruling over them.  (Rev 1:5,6; 5:9,10) (Rev 13:11,12)

They are of “Israel” – Hosea chapter 10.

ALL the warning words of the prophets are heard once again in the last days regarding spiritual Israel and their idolatrous sins committed in the Watchtower Beast. (Rev 10:5-7; 11:18; 18:20) The call is made to “My people”, meaning God’s chosen anointed priesthood ,to leave before His wrath, the symbolic fire of His word, consumes. (Jer 23:29; Rev 18:4-8; 1 Thess 5:3)

Since the poster condemns and judges the spiritual leaders of the Watchtower for the sins of the poster, then the answer is YES! Amos 4:1-13 does not apply. The application does however condemn the poster's self-serving ploys.

Spiritual Israel has not left God, and continues to do the work of Christ. That fact is undisputable. However, the poster should understand correctly, what is written in Amos.

3. Words Condemning Israel’s Women, Worship, and Stubbornness (4:1–13)

(1) Condemnation of Samaria’s Self-serving Women (4:1–3)

It would appear, the contradiction comes from the poster's application of scripture.