The World News Media

“Yahweh” or “Jehovah”?

Micah Ong

12 minutes ago, Chioke Lin said:

Now, how about the confusion between YHWH-Y'sua and YHWH-Jah, if we only use, he causes to become?

All nouns usually have three consonants and one can turn the noun into a verb as well. 

In Arabic -kitaab is "book" and the three consonant letters are:  k - t- b 

aktub is - write (a verb)  and the three consonants are k-t-b

With Jehovah's name in Hebrew is the same - the letters have an associated verb. 

• Views 6.6k
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yet you continue to enter a JW forum and declare Jehovah is not God's name "repeatedly"....... Adios.... go find some other waters to play in and hurl insults.  

I'm sure a serious question would first need to be asked, and not some long-drawn opinion in order to have a meaningful bible discussion, and not just an argument generated by animosity. No Christian

@Arauna has often pointed out that something she calls "hate OCD" will affect the ability of a person to tell the truth about another person's point of view when it disagrees (at least in part) with t

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Arauna said:

All nouns usually have three consonants and one can turn the noun into a verb as well. 

Then the rendering "He causes to become" doesn't fit that scheme, since it is speaking of a future event. God has no beginning and no end. The other two forms are more appreciate to that rendering.

This is why the Org ties all the loose ends to an adequate rendering without confusing the issues with scholarly understanding. As you stated, not all scholars care about the Bible.

There are, however, two kinds of scholars, those that look into the linguistics and those that look into the bible to interpret and understand it. Both are worthwhile for deep study and shouldn't be dismissed at a personal level, just as the Org has done to establish the rendering of God's name.

13 hours ago, Arauna said:

Even if you do not get the opportunity to speak you are a silent Witness..... Witnessing can include many actions. 

Yes it can.  For the good or the bad. In other words you may be saying, JWs are standing quietly as pillars of the organization; which claims it IS truth.

No, the witness being given is that the organization and its false prophets are the way to salvation – and not Jesus Christ, nor the Temple of “living stones” built on his body. (John 2:19-21; 1 Pet 2:5,9; 1 Cor 3:16; Eph 2:20-22) The cart holds the philosophy of men’s doctrine, which leads to spiritual captivity, and the receiving of a “mark” of dedication to an idol.   Col 2:8; Rev 13:10; 13:1,2,4,8,16,17

“Yet not even Titus who was with me, being a Greek, was compelled to be circumcised. And this occurred because of false brethren secretly brought in (who came in by stealth to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage), to whom we did not yield submission even for an hour, that the truth of the gospel might continue with you.

But from those who seemed to be somethingwhatever they were, it makes no difference to meGod shows personal favoritism to no man—for those who seemed to be something added nothing to me.”

I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. 21 I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain.”  Gal 2

Something I recently realized, is that the dichotomy to the Book of the Law that God assigned Moses to set next to the ark of the covenant, is the “Shepherd the Flock of God” book…the Book of the Law of the Watchtower.  Does righteousness come through the ‘Shepherding’ book?  (Deut 31:26)

16 hours ago, Chioke Lin said:

since it is speaking of a future event.

He causes to become. Jehovah is the cause of everything that exists. In a way you are right because Jehovah is the beginning of everything.  Jehovah is the only one who has existed forever in the past. So he is the creator of everything - so everything has a future until He decides it no longer exists. 

Additionally, He can also cause any person, by his Spirit, to become whatever He needs the person to do. A good example is Cyrus the Great: two hundred years before he was born Jehovah already named him and said the he would free the Jews from Babylon. He - a pagan -  is called the anointed of Jehovah, to do what Jehovah wanted him to do. After he completed this task for Jehovah He kept on waging war (most probably without Jehovah's guidance.)..... and eventually was beheaded by a Amazonian queen.

There is no way the despotic Babylonian king would have allowed a remnant of Israel to return to Juda.  Cyrus, by Jehovah's Spirit (he was anointed for this specific job), was a humanitarian and allowed them to return by his decree.  His life story is very interesting...... how the Persian empire almost rose up overnight!

8 hours ago, Peter Carroll said:

if you want to use another form of JEHOVAH then be consistant  use it within the language it belongs to

Your illustration needs further study.

I will provide 2 examples in English form.

ESV  Hebrews 4:8 For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken of another day later on.

KJV  Hebrews 4:8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.

How does your consistent statement work?

The opposition is attempting to show, the name Jehovah is incorrect by using a dead language to the Jews. Without being critical, how do you defend the name of God, if both examples mean Y'sua to them? 

This also goes toward how the name "Joshua" (Heb. 4:8 ESV) for Jesus, can be confused with Joshua as Moses' assistant. The same confusion that exists when applying it in a dead language.

Joshua (/ˈɒʃuə/) or Yehoshua (Hebrew: יְהוֹשֻׁעַ Yəhōšūaʿ)[b] functioned as Moses' assistant in the books of Exodus and Numbers,

Yeshua or Y'shua (ישוע; with vowel pointing Hebrew: יֵשׁוּעַ, romanizedYēšūaʿ) was a common alternative form of the name Yehoshua (Hebrew: יְהוֹשֻׁעַ, romanizedYəhōšūaʿ,

8 hours ago, Arauna said:

He causes to become. Jehovah is the cause of everything that exists.

Yes. We just need to be careful when coining the phrase “He causes to become” since, the word “become” has a future tense tone to it. God has no future tense, he is the future tense. This is why, sometimes, the lexicons can get confusing themselves, if we don’t understand the ancient language in its proper context.

Yod-Hey-Vav-Hey

The four letters YHWH or YHVH derive from the Biblical Hebrew tri-consonantal root/verb h-y-h (hayah), meaning "to be". The name YHWH is a compound word made up of 3 verbs: "hayah hoveh yi'yeh", meaning " He was, He is, He will be ".

Be·come /bəˈkəm/ verb

1. begin to be: "it is becoming clear that we are in a totally new situation"

2. (of clothing) look good on or suit (someone):

Then we can use the word 'become' to mean, God “became” the God of Israel, and “he is” all that exist. 

"He will be" the God of Israel or God "begin to be" the God of Israel.

Since the YHWH is actually supposed to be read from right to left, Then It reads Yod–(Yud)-Hey-Vav-Hey. Those that continue to claim The Tetragrammaton stands for Yahweh would need to explain how they arrived at that claim, themselves, since they are manipulating the “u” or “o”, and W to the English form.

Yet, they continue with their criticism of the letter J. If you look at how they got the W, you just need to remove the “a” from “Vav” and it becomes 2-V’s or W. The same as saying double V.

So, no, the name Yahweh would not be appropriate in that dead language.

3 hours ago, Chioke Lin said:

God has no future tense, he is the future tense.

But the verb form does not refer to God himself - He is the carrier of the name - so it means that he causes all else to become!... in the verb form.   He cannot become himself!   However, he is in control of all future events and creation and can assist people to "become" what he wants them to become.

3 hours ago, Chioke Lin said:

meaning "to be". 

It is inaccurate to say it means "to be" or "I am" - this is a very simplified translation as I explained above!  The original King James is not accurate,  It is the causative form of the verb...... sometimes also translated as "I shall prove to be".

He causes to be is the verb form.  The noun form - he was, he is and in future will be!

23 hours ago, Arauna said:

But the verb form does not refer to God himself - He is the carrier of the name - so it means that he causes all else to become!... in the verb form. 

If we explain it this way, then yes. It is good if the explanations continue in this fashion.

λέγω VIPA--1S λέγω 
λέγω VSPA--1S λέγω1
[Fri] λέγω impf. ἔλεγον; tenses beyond the present and imperfect supplied by εἶπον (q.v.); strictly gather and lay in order; hence, used of logical expression; (1) say, speak, tell, narrate (MT 3.9); (2) tell of, report, recount (MK 1.30); (3) with the sense derived from the context; (a) in direct discourse ask, say (MT 9.14); answer, say (MT 8.26); order, command, recommend (1J 5.16); assure, assert, especially in formulas such as ἀμὴν, ἀμὴν λ. ὑμῖν truly, truly I say to you (JN 1.51); maintain, declare (GA 4.1); (b) in designations call, name (MK 12.37); passive be called, be named (MT 1.16); (c) in explanatory foreign words mean, interpret, translate (JN 1.38)

0196 הָיָה hayah {haw-yaw} 
Meaning:  1) to be, become, come to pass, exist, happen, fall out 1a) (Qal) 1a1) ----- 1a1a) to happen, fall out, occur, take place, come about, come to pass 1a1b) to come about, come to pass 1a2) to come into being, become 1a2a) to arise, appear, come 1a2b) to become 1a2b1) to become 1a2b2) to become like 1a2b3) to be instituted, be established 1a3) to be 1a3a) to exist, be in existence 1a3b) to abide, remain, continue (with word of place or time) 1a3c) to stand, lie, be in, be at, be situated (with word of locality) 1a3d) to accompany, be with 1b) (Niphal) 1b1) to occur, come to pass, be done, be brought about 1b2) to be done, be finished, be gone 

That is the point. To simplify, so the reader can understand without them resorting to become scholars. I believe you have made a comment about the majority of us not being scholars.

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.