The World News Media

Education ? Educating one's self Higher education ?

JOHN BUTLER

Luke 10 v 21  In that very hour he became overjoyed in the holy spirit and said: “I publicly praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have carefully hidden these things from wise and intellectual ones and have revealed them to young children. Yes, O Father, because this is the way you approved.

This seems to show that 'higher education' was not needed to learn, understand and teach, the truth from God, at that time. 

It seems to be a well know thing within the JW Org and by people outside of same, that JW's are 'told' not to aim for higher education. I say told, although some will say strongly advised, with a possible caution of being disfellowshipped. 

Now I've noticed on here recently that deep conversation about many things has been and is taking place. Politics earthwide. religious beliefs earthwide and the latest thing seems to be Evolution (from a very deep standpoint ). ( These things were never taught to me at school. )

I left school at 15 years old, as soon as I was able, for reasons previously mentioned. Here in UK now teenagers have to remain in education until they are 18. The three years from 15 to 18 seem to me to be almost 'higher education', but compulsory.  How much they learn at school now I've no idea. 

My feelings are, and yes ok i cannot put proof to these feelings, but, my feelings are, that all forms of higher education are advised against by the GB and the JW Org. Some of you may have some proof of this in writing. So, where does this leave JW's ?

If a young person leaves school to go into full time 'service' ministry, they do not get a higher education. Their 'basic' education may have been just that, very basic. They are then not 'qualified' to talk to others on a higher education level, and this might even be to the point of not understanding such things as are being discussed on here lately. 

( Much of what is being discussed leaves me miles behind. I'm a very simple person. Plus at 69 I forget more than i learn. Yes I do write lots of notes and have books for recording different things, but the mind boggles. )

With respect for those I knew and loved in the past, within my ex congregation, many of them were 'simple country folk'. And I think Tom said about not having the time or inclination to do research online or or otherwise. So let us go back to the scripture at the top. 

So many questions. Does God reveal more to those of a lesser education ?  Is higher education and greater knowledge a disadvantage when wanting to serve God properly?

Or is it that those of higher education are too stubborn to learn God's way ?  Too proud maybe ?   

There are many things that the Bible doesn't tell us. is that deliberate ? Does God want to keep it simple for us ? So, should we pursue more knowledge about worldly things ? 

A problem may occur when talking to others about God, in that they may have more knowledge on a certain subject than we do and therefore believe something different. Should we then educate ourselves to their level on the same subject, or just pass them by ?  Bearing in mind the scripture at the top of this page. 

There has to be a balance of course. But my feelings are that the GB would like JW's to be educated only by the Watchtower studies and by the 'workbook' evening meeting studies. And of course by personal Bible reading.   But do JW's do as they are told in this respect or do a lot of them 'educate themselves', or take further education elsewhere ? 

• Views 724
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Luke 10 v 21  In that very hour he became overjoyed in the holy spirit and said: “I publicly praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have carefully hidden these things from wise and

As to my knowledge, Judicial Committee will not disfellowshipp somebody because he/she going to University. But if father of such child is an elder some questions can be directing to him. Sometimes co

"from wise and intellectual ones" Kingdom Interlinear translate this  with "from comprehending ones"   Definition of comprehend       https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/comprehe

1 hour ago, JOHN BUTLER said:

that JW's are 'told' not to aim for higher education. I say told, although some will say strongly advised, with a possible caution of being disfellowshipped. 

As to my knowledge, Judicial Committee will not disfellowshipp somebody because he/she going to University. But if father of such child is an elder some questions can be directing to him. Sometimes congregational environment, details of group interrelations, fundamentalism of some prominent individuals (elders) can be involved on how such persons will be treated.    

Some young bro or sis parallely going to University and pioneering. By that they softening some "attacks" and  "disarm" those who would try to complain. General JW policy is against Higher Education, and that is evident from official statements in publications and public talks.  

2 hours ago, JOHN BUTLER said:

In that very hour he became overjoyed in the holy spirit and said: “I publicly praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have carefully hidden these things from wise and intellectual ones and have revealed them to young children. Yes, O Father, because this is the way you approved.

"from wise and intellectual ones"

Kingdom Interlinear translate this  with "from comprehending ones"

Definition of comprehend       https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/comprehend

transitive verb

1: to grasp the nature, significance, or meaning of

unable to comprehend what has happened

2: to contain or hold within a total scope, significance, or amount…

philosophy's scope comprehends the truth of everything which man may understand …— Henry Osborn Taylor

3: to include by construction or implication

Does not prudence comprehend all the virtues?— Thomas B. Silver

Our civilization comprehends great variety and complexity …— Perry Meisel

4: to understand (something, such as a difficult or complex subject)

5: to understand (something, such as a difficult or complex subject)

By this, in my comprehending of issue :))), Jesus say nothing against Education in human Society. GB has made wrong understanding and interpretations about this verse. 

Even if we using NWT Translation, here is nothing for  Bible readers today, to say how Education is wrong. WT has completely erroneously using this verse for purpose to promote false teaching.   

Definition of intellectual 

(Entry 1 of 2)

1a: of or relating to the intellect or its use

b: developed or chiefly guided by the intellect rather than by emotion or experience : RATIONAL

c: requiring use of the intellectintellectual games

2a: given to study, reflection, and speculation

b: engaged in activity requiring the creative use of the intellectintellectual playwrights