Witness

• Views 7.8k
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't believe the maker of the video was showing jealousy; but instead, he was showing your leader  up as a hypocrite.  As this video also shows, about the vow of poverty that all in Bethel are unde

I can't imagine even one exjw being jealous of Stephen Lett.  It's not about jealously.  It's about hypocrisy, which is the opposite of righteousness.  

He did ... he owns a huge piece of wooded property where the road that serves Warwick HQ Tees into the main State road .... PERFECT for motels, gas stations, or a strip mall.  This can be researched t

Posted Images

I have several friends who make money by building and investing in property. It definitely beats the stock exchange - as long as one does not overpay for the property and the location is good.

My best friend supported her family with construction work. Yes, a woman with her own company and she did preaching when she could.

My husband thankfully had his heart attack in Sweden otherwise all our savings would have been wiped out  in USA.  He was only 61 years old.   

Nine days hospitalization five years back in Florida for a bout if pneumonia cost a friend  almost 70,000 dollars. She was only 45 years old...... and that is without the Bill's for the doctors.  So one bit of sickness can wipe out the profit on a property overnight.

I do not think it is wrong to save in this way for some health event...... I did it myself.  Nothing wrong with being prudent.  Young people who have no hospital bills to pay do not realize how expensive it is. Cancer treatment is quite sketchy if one does not have good health insurance and Medicare does not guarantee the best treatment. 

A holiday property next to the sea is also not a sin - although you really try hard to make it look this way.  

If I decide to leave a property in my will to the organization it is my business and if I do some prudent business on the side I am fulfilling proverbs 31... by being a smart wife.... whether I am JW or not.

Yes, if all my thinking is consumed by a "love " of money or the accumulation of wealth ..... then it would be a sin. But it is not wrong to earn money by your personal endeavours while serving God. Abraham obeyed God and showed exceptional  faith and God blessed him materially.  So do a little finger pointing in Abraham's and Jacob's direction!

I personally think that showing jealousy of another's success is an even bigger sin than making money by prudent and honest endeavours. Also the petty research to try and malign another persons reputation is also a sin. 

What did all this research and wasted time  prove?  Not much......it only shone a light on the intent of the presenter.

I had gathered some scriptures about material things:

Mark 10:21  Jesus looked at him and felt love for him and said, “One thing is missing about you: Go, sell what things you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come be my follower.” 22  But he grew sad at the answer and went away grieved, for he had many possessions. 23  After looking around, Jesus said to his disciples: “How difficult it will be for those with money to enter into the Kingdom of God!”y 24  But the disciples were surprised at his words. Jesus then responded: “Children, how difficult it is to enter into the Kingdom of God! 25  It is easier for a camel to go through a needle’s eye than for a rich man to enter into the Kingdom of God.”

Mark 4:18  There are still others that are sown among the thorns. These are the ones who have heard the word, 19  but the anxieties of this system of things and the deceptive power of riches and the desires for everything else make inroads and choke the word, and it becomes unfruitful.

Matthew 6:19 “Stop storing up for yourselves treasures on the earth, where moth and rust consume and where thieves break in and steal. 20  Rather, store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust consumes, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. 22  “The lamp of the body is the eye. If, then, your eye is focused, your whole body will be bright. 23  But if your eye is envious, your whole body will be dark. If the light that is in you is really darkness, how great that darkness is! 24  “No one can slave for two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will stick to the one and despise the other. You cannot slave for God and for Riches.

Luke 12:19  and I will say to myself: “You have many good things stored up for many years; take it easy, eat, drink, enjoy yourself.”’ 20  But God said to him, ‘Unreasonable one, this night they are demanding your life from you. Who, then, is to have the things you stored up?' 21  So it goes with the man who stores up treasure for himself but is not rich toward God.”

1 John 2: 15  Do not love either the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him; 16  because everything in the world—the desire of the flesh and the desire of the eyes and the showy display of one’s means of life—does not originate with the Father, but originates with the world.

James 1:9  But let the lowly brother rejoice over his exaltation, 10  and the rich one over his humiliation, because like a flower of the field he will pass away. 11  For just as the sun rises with its scorching heat and withers the plant, and its flower falls off and its outward beauty perishes, so too the rich man will fade away in the midst of his pursuits.

James 5:1 Come, now, you rich men, weep and wail over the miseries that are coming upon you. 2  Your riches have rotted, and your clothing has become moth-eaten. 3  Your gold and silver have rusted away, and their rust will be a witness against you and will consume your flesh. What you have stored up will be like a fire in the last days. 4  Look! The wages you have withheld from the workers who harvested your fields keep crying out, and the cries for help of the reapers have reached the ears of Jehovah of armies. 5 You have lived in luxury and for self-gratification on the earth. You have fattened your hearts on the day of slaughter. 6  You have condemned; you have murdered the righteous one. Is he not opposing you?

2 Timothy 6:6 To be sure, there is great gain in godly devotion along with contentment. 7  For we have brought nothing into the world, and neither can we carry anything out. 8 So, having food and clothing, we will be content with these things.

9  But those who are determined to be rich fall into temptation and a snare and many senseless and harmful desires that plunge men into destruction and ruin. 10  For the love of money is a root of all sorts of injurious things, and by reaching out for this love some have been led astray from the faith and have stabbed themselves all over with many pains.

Philippians 4:12 I know how to be low on provisions and how to have an abundance. In everything and in all circumstances I have learned the secret of both how to be full and how to hunger, both how to have an abundance and how to do without. 13  For all things I have the strength through the one who gives me power.

Revelation 2:9  ‘I know your tribulation and poverty—but you are rich….

Revelation 3:17  Because you say, “I am rich and have acquired riches and do not need anything at all,” but you do not know that you are miserable and pitiful and poor and blind and naked, 18  I advise you to buy from me gold refined by fire so that you may become rich, and white garments so that you may become dressed and that the shame of your nakedness may not be exposed, and eyesalve to rub in your eyes so that you may see.

@Arauna Hi, nice to hear something from you!

And we should be cautious with examples in the OT (OldTestament). Jesus came with new commandments and much in the OT is not for Christians. The attitude toward money and richess is very different.

Its like the OT's permission to divorce. There was a reason God allowed it. Much of the difference was because the light had yet to get brighter. And it did with Jesus' arrival.

21 hours ago, Arauna said:

I have several friends who make money by building and investing in property. It definitely beats the stock exchange - as long as one does not overpay for the property and the location is good.

My best friend supported her family with construction work. Yes, a woman with her own company and she did preaching when she could.

My husband thankfully had his heart attack in Sweden otherwise all our savings would have been wiped out  in USA.  He was only 61 years old.   

Nine days hospitalization five years back in Florida for a bout if pneumonia cost a friend  almost 70,000 dollars. She was only 45 years old...... and that is without the Bill's for the doctors.  So one bit of sickness can wipe out the profit on a property overnight.

I do not think it is wrong to save in this way for some health event...... I did it myself.  Nothing wrong with being prudent.  Young people who have no hospital bills to pay do not realize how expensive it is. Cancer treatment is quite sketchy if one does not have good health insurance and Medicare does not guarantee the best treatment. 

A holiday property next to the sea is also not a sin - although you really try hard to make it look this way.  

If I decide to leave a property in my will to the organization it is my business and if I do some prudent business on the side I am fulfilling proverbs 31... by being a smart wife.... whether I am JW or not.

Yes, if all my thinking is consumed by a "love " of money or the accumulation of wealth ..... then it would be a sin. But it is not wrong to earn money by your personal endeavours while serving God. Abraham obeyed God and showed exceptional  faith and God blessed him materially.  So do a little finger pointing in Abraham's and Jacob's direction!

I personally think that showing jealousy of another's success is an even bigger sin than making money by prudent and honest endeavours. Also the petty research to try and malign another persons reputation is also a sin. 

What did all this research and wasted time  prove?  Not much......it only shone a light on the intent of the presenter.

Many of what you said is in place. Western capitalism in US is different than in Europe. And many of us we who live in Europe are blessed by been born and live here. 

How people making money for living is interesting to discuss. I think how, generally said, the bigger money that some individual making can also can be connected with more people who have less  for living. I am going to idealistic sphere, of course, but we can agree how people not need necessary to drive Mercedes, when also exists cheaper cars to buy. Yes, some people can afford to have "holiday property next to sea or mountain". But, if you or any other JW and GB "preaching" how spiritual "things" are what really matters ...than what is a point to have another house, and invest more money to have it, to keep it??? You need to earn more  money to buy and to hold second house. In the same time some other people can't afford even basic things for life. System is wrong, we can agree. But we making system to live, and we make decision to have holiday property and with that contribute to injustice, generally. 

I guess,Abraham and Jacob working hard, but in the same time support slavery and material imbalance of society. Is that "God's blessings"? or just old world system?? :))

What S. Lett supporting? By words and by silence about this and that aspects about material things in own family.

On 3/18/2020 at 2:26 PM, Arauna said:

I don't believe the maker of the video was showing jealousy; but instead, he was showing your leader  up as a hypocrite.  As this video also shows, about the vow of poverty that all in Bethel are under, including the governing body.

Well you better all sell your houses.  If others are not allowed to have a home or property (even if they are in Bethal) then you should not throw stones if you own a house....... 

Easy to judge others when someone is not checking up on your financial situation .......

Jealousy or malicousness comes in many forms.

Abraham was blessed ..... and slaves were part of the system...... it seems most of the men in Abraham's household assisted Abraham to fight against 5 kings on an expedition to  Damascus to save Lot from them when he and his family were abducted (possibly to be slaves). These men willingly fought with Abraham at peril of their lives...... so he must have been a very just and fair man to receive such loyalty.

On 3/19/2020 at 10:29 PM, Kosonen said:

Hi, nice to hear something

Hi- nice to see you are still here.  Jehovah does not change.   Jesus DID encourage us to not love money but it is not wrong to let money work for you. Especially if you are preaching full time and you have a property lying fallow - it can later be sold for a profit.

To make property pay you have to pay now but reap dividends later when the property has picked up more value - an investment which one does not have to work hard at.

11 hours ago, Arauna said:

Jealousy or malicousness comes in many forms.

True.

11 hours ago, Arauna said:

Abraham was blessed ..... and slaves were part of the system...... it seems most of the men in Abraham's household assisted Abraham to fight against 5 kings on an expedition to  Damascus to save Lot from them when he and his family were abducted (possibly to be slaves).

Abraham was blessed, not necessary because of "God's blessings",but because of some other circumstances. First he was born and raised in reach family in Ur of the Chaldea. There lived people who worshiped other god, not JHVH. And it seems how their false god also "blessed" people in that city and area. Abraham wealthy originated from this sort of "blessings". 

Also bear in mind how Abraham support slavery of people around him, but not willing to accept slavery of his family members when "enemies" try to earn money and wealthy in this common trade and custom that was part of system of both societies, theirs and Abraham's.

Because of that i don't want to put Abraham or any other human, including me too, in this or any other "elitist" classification.  Religious, political, national, social ... etc. elitism is wrong idea. This sort of ideology always ended in hate and suffer for all. 

About S. Lett. In JWbroadcasting i heard what he said, comment about corona virus. And how he interpret what corona virus is in connection to Bible prophecies and interpretations about "last days". He talking about "final part of final part of last days". He shows Faith. And Abraham showed Faith. Does Faith of this two is the same Faith??     

12 hours ago, Arauna said:

Jehovah does not change. 

It is true. But that frase can not be aplied to the Old Testament. Because much of what God allowed to happen in the Old Testament were just things God allowed temporally.

Here are more scriptures about how to be Jesus' disciple:

Luke 14:33  In the same way, you may be sure that not one of you who does not say good-bye to all his belongings can be my disciple.

Luke 12:32  “Have no fear, little flock, for your Father has approved of giving you the Kingdom. 33  Sell your belongings and give gifts of mercy. Make money pouches that do not wear out, a never-failing treasure in the heavens, where no thief gets near and no moth consumes. 34  For where your treasure is, there your hearts will be also.

Luke 16:9  “Also, I say to you: Make friends for yourselves by means of the unrighteous riches, so that when such fail, they may receive you into the everlasting dwelling places. 10  The person faithful in what is least is faithful also in much, and the person unrighteous in what is least is unrighteous also in much. 11  Therefore, if you have not proved yourselves faithful in connection with the unrighteous riches, who will entrust you with what is true? 12 And if you have not proved yourselves faithful in connection with what belongs to another, who will give you something for yourselves? 13  No servant can be a slave to two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will stick to the one and despise the other. You cannot be slaves to God and to Riches.”

Hebrews 13:5 Let your way of life be free of the love of money, while you are content with the present things. For he has said: “I will never leave you, and I will never abandon you.” 

Acts 4:32 Moreover, the multitude of those who believed were of one heart and soul, and not even one of them would say that any of the things he possessed was his own, but they had all things in common. 33 And with great power the apostles continued giving the witness about the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and undeserved kindness was upon them all in large measure. 34 In fact, no one was in need among them, for all those who owned fields or houses would sell them and bring the value of what was sold,  and they would deposit it at the feet of the apostles. In turn distribution would be made to each one according to his need. So Joseph, who was also called by the apostles Barʹna·bas (which means, when translated, “Son of Comfort”), a Levite, a native of Cyʹprus, owned a piece of land, and he sold it and brought the money and deposited it at the feet of the apostles.