The World News Media

Has the Society ever ruled on what happens if a man or woman abandons their spouse forever ... is the one abandoned stuck forever ?

James Thomas Rook Jr.

• Views 2k
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Who can say what God is thinking?  Perhaps it is a way a demonstrating he considers marriage a covenant sacrosanct. I can think of two who complied with it for many years before finally becoming

"Forever is a long...long time." No one gets stuck in anything longer than their current life or until Armageddon...whichever comes first.

Is your beef this time with God or with the organization that does its best to apply what he has inspired to be written?

Posted Images

Pretty much. There has to be evidence that the departing spouse has committed adultery thereby 'scripturally' releasing the abandoned one from the marriage. If not, then, pfft, stuck forever.

However, I saw this in the Branch Correspondence Guidelines (2007, revised 2008):

"What if a mate is long missing and
presumed dead?
The law may allow
that after a set time and a diligent but
unsuccessful search for the person, he
or she may be declared legally dead. If
that occurs and the 'survivor' truly believes
the absentee to be dead, he or
she may remarry but should be willing
to bear responsibility before God.—w69
7/15 447-8." - p. 75

Ok .... the next questions that beg to be answered are ....

WHY?

Does it serve God, or theocratic interests in any way, shape or form, to be stuck forever?

NOT THAT I AM AWARE OF.

Does it serve any human or Theocratic interest to be stuck forever?

NOT THAT I AM AWARE OF.

Perhaps someone else knows WHY this interpretation would be a righteous thing to insist on, but I just don't see it.

WHY would Jehovah God require such a thing ?

How is this a benefit to ANYONE!?

This condemns THOUSANDS, perhaps TENS OF THOUSANDS of Brothers and Sisters to a lonely cruel death for no apparent REASON.  (... that I can think of .....)

..................................................................................................

My current theory is this:  You cannot have a crime or sin without an injured party, whether it is God, or human ...  and the abandoned spouse when abandoned forever remarrying ( after a legal, civil divorce ) hurts NO ONE ... neither God, nor human.

..........................................................................................................................

Any takers?

17 hours ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

WHY would Jehovah God require such a thing ?

Who can say what God is thinking? 

Perhaps it is a way a demonstrating he considers marriage a covenant sacrosanct. I can think of two who complied with it for many years before finally becoming free.

Much of it, I would think, depends upon how you regard this life. If this life is all there is, then such a policy is tremendously burdensome. If one regards this life as a forerunner to the real life of 1 Timothy 6:19, then it is less so.

6 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

Much of it, I would think, depends upon how you regard this life. If this life is all there is, then such a policy is tremendously burdensome. If one regards this life as a forerunner to the real life of 1 Timothy 6:19, then it is less so.

Less so?

LESS SO?

Gimme a BREAK!

Sort of like a Catholic who died in the 14th century "going to hell" for eating meat on a Friday ... and being tortured continuously for 600 years, until the 20th century when the Pope changed the "rules", and said it was OK to eat meat on Friday?

It's the same idea.

"tremendously burdensome", or LESS "tremendously burdensome" is euphemistic for torture and LESS torture.

FOR NO APPARENT OR DISCERNIBLE REASON

6 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

Who can say what God is thinking?

EVERYBODY SAYS. 

"Everybody" includes the Society, which also extrapolates and interprets what Jesus said 2,000 years ago ... to a specific audience about a specific practice of that time, of getting new wives every few months, and dismissing the old ones. This was so the perpetrators could not be accused of fornication or adultery, and be stoned to death, to today's  cruel application that makes no sense at all ... in this specific example being discussed in this thread.

The Jews of that time figured out how to "juke the system" and with a pad of divorce certificates legally as far as the local law was concerned, and never be convicted of adultery, allowing them to  "play around" all they wanted with complete impunity, as long as they were legally certified.

They had their stack of "get out of jail free" divorce cards ready to show the Pharisees  with spears who showed up to accuse them of adultery ... but their "paperwork" was all in order.

In that case of "Rock, Paper, Scissors" ... PAPER beat ROCK(s).

In our time 2,000 years later ... the Brotherhood gets beat up with the same rocks they are forced to carry, for no REAL discernible reason.  "Because that's what we do" is not a valid reason.

Those thousands or tens of thousands in the Brotherhood who have been abandoned .. ARE BEING PUNISHED FOR NOT SCREWING AROUND!

... being PUNISHED for NOT screwing around.

When the one abandoned's FIDELITY and INTEGRITY is punished with a lifetime of hardship and cruelty ... JUSTICE is ONLY a seven letter word, and EVIL stalks the land.

In this specific situation ... does it serve Jehovah God's, or any humans', or ANY theocratic interests in any way, shape or form, for an innocent person to be stuck forever?

NOT THAT I AM AWARE OF.

If you know something I am missing, please explain it here, so the Brotherhood will know WHY (remember WHY?) they, although innocent,  are being punished.

TTH:

Are you EVER able to discuss any real ISSUE whatsoever ... without trying to divert attention to someone to blame?

How about this ...

You tell me WHY? .... and I will tell you WHO?

Since you have no reading comprehension skills  for what I have already said, in which already answered your question ... that might be best.

...... at least,  you are 100% consistent!

Who are you? Brother or ex-brother? I'm just worried about your negative sound of your questions and comments. Please, talk with the elders about these questions or contact JW headquarters, I'm sure that they can give you answers for your questions or direct you where to find the answer.

BTW,  my husband divorced me and I spent 8 years alone. Then some of my friends went to check him out and his neighbors confirmed that he was living there with some woman.  After that brothers came to me and said that I'm free to marry again if I wish.

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.